Old 07-15-2010, 11:07 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '74 Euro Carrera is for sale!

1974 European Carrera
VIN: 911400696
Engine: 2.7L Type 83 (Mechanical Fuel Injection as used in the ’73 Carrera RS)
Horsepower: 210 DIN (factory spec)
Weight: 2,365 lbs.
Color: Off white, Black
Suspension: Bilstien RSR Struts
Wheels: 15” 7"/8" Fuchs

This is one of very few real ’74 Euro Carreras in the U.S.

This is one of 1,026 Euro Carrera coupes built in 1974. There were a total of about 2,200 coupes and targas built in ’74, ’75 and ’76. These are very similar to the ’73 Carrera RS with the same mechanically fuel injected 2.7L engines that produced 210 DIN. The ‘73s and Euros had the same horsepower to weight ratio. The Euros gained some weight with the impact bumpers but had aluminum trailing arms to bring the total down to the ‘73s.

There has been some written about these cars and I have some of the magazine articles but they are very much an unknown quantity. I have not done a full search, but from Rennlist, Pelican and tracking down many Porsche historians and enthusiasts, I haven’t found more than 15 documented cars here. I could be wrong, but these are pretty rare cars in the States.

This car started its domestic like in Illinois when it was imported in 1976. From Illinois it traveled West with a true Porsche enthusiast and craftsman who rebuilt the car from the ground up in the late 90’s. The car was completely stripped, the engine rebuilt to spec. with Porsche engineers and Jerry Woods, body work done, interior done, again, all to factory spec. I have photos, receipts and information for this entire rebuild.
I purchased the car and returned it to IL where it was rarely driven. Over the years I have done mostly routine maintenance and had the transmission rebuilt by Sol Snyderman at Perfect Power.
This is one of the cars featured in the historic display at the Porsche Parade in Keystone, CO last year so if you were at the Parade you may have seen it. In preparation for the Parade a “clean-up” was done that included the following:

Engine:
• Oil leaks sealed
• Timing chains replaced
• Cams timed
• Valves adjusted
• Plugs replaced
• Oil cooler pulled, cleaned
• Fan polished
• Oil regulator replaced
• Many other bits and pieces were replaced with the “while we’re here” mentality
• The entire suspension and underside of the car was removed and stripped or media-blasted for powder-coating and painting. It is beautiful!
• The wheels have been polished
• Wheel wells are painted
• Alloy “S” brake calipers removed, rebuilt and polished
• Bushings replaced
• Control arms blasted and powder coated
• Brake pads and fluid replaced
• Front air dam and chin spoiler replaced and painted

This is just to name a few of the items that were cleaned up and brought back to spec. With everything that has been done, this is an exceptional driver. It’s a blast to drive and I feel bad letting it sit in a garage. These cars need to be driven!

The car is in Colorado Springs. I am selling simply because I am now in Michigan and have not driven it enough to keep it honest…I have probably put less than 1,000 miles on the car in the last 5 years. It has literally been stored for the last 7 years as I have been in different states from where the car has been stored.

I have a photo site set up at ttp://picasaweb.google.com/jnphil61/CarreraProject#. There are many more photos that I will be adding to the site if requested.

This is a serious inquiry only posting.

There are interested parties now but I want to make sure that the Rennlist community has an opportunity to express their interest. The car will sell for $70,000 - $85,000

Thanks for your interest. I'll answer any question that I can but all of the documentation is with the car in Colorado.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jeff,

Your Carrera looks very nice. You have done lots of work to bring it back to excellent condition. Is the engine case the original one to the car? Looks like from the serial # shown in the a couple of the photos. Also, do you have the original Ducktail or was this car a spoiler delete model? Thanks much.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian 96C2
Hi Jeff,

Your Carrera looks very nice. You have done lots of work to bring it back to excellent condition. Is the engine case the original one to the car? Looks like from the serial # shown in the a couple of the photos. Also, do you have the original Ducktail or was this car a spoiler delete model? Thanks much.
Looks like it has a spoiler to me...
Old 07-20-2010, 11:56 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Of course it has a spoiler, but the one shown in the photos is for a '75 Carrera. The '74 Carrera came with either a stock engine lid or a steel frame/fiber glass ducktail.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I thought the ducks were out on the Euros in '74?
Old 07-21-2010, 01:15 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Thanks Brian. It has been a fun project and the parade was a blast! All numbers match. Original case, transmission, chassis, etc.

The '74's had the ducks. This was a tail delete car and the prior owner sourced an original '75 tail.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:17 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Ed, I may remember that the tail delete was Germany only? Not sure but I have history on that in one of the books somewhere.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

It was a Germany thing, which I thought translated to all Euros. Apparently not!
Old 07-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I figured it might be a spoiler delete model. Yes, you are correct the German market wouldn't allow the ducktail after '73 but there were no other markets that I'm aware of that had the same restriction.

I wish it was still in MI as I would drive up my Carrera to see it again. I passed along a link to this thread to a friend who is looking for a special 911. Best wishes with the sale.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW what a beautiful car. Did I miss something, or do you have interior shots? I am not a serious inquirer, just an enthusiast. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:30 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Thanks Brian. I appreciate your passing on the link.

Thanks for the compliment on the car Whalebird. I don't have any interior shots but the headliner has been replaced, the seats recovered, german carpets and all gauges are original european spec. The door panels in these cars were a very dark blue, you would think they are black. Very difficult to find and I have the originals in boxes. There is one crack in the dash which was intentionally not replaced during the restoration b/c the previous owner felt that the originality was more important that the small crack.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:28 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

I've had some questions on the car and wanted to clarify two things.
  • Yes, it's a numbers matching car
  • The wheels are correct sizes but they are not the original wheels that came with the car. I think they are dated from '78 but can't be sure. If it's important I can have the shop check.

Quick Reply: '74 Euro Carrera is for sale!