San Diego 6-9 Aug

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 07:51 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
Default San Diego 6-9 Aug

I will be in SD the weekend of 6-9 Aug and with the family and am looking for input on "car stuff" to do in SoCal. Preferably Porsche stuff but open to anything cool.

I found this in Escondido http://www.downtownescondido.com/cruisin.html

How is the Auto Museum in Balboa Park?

Any feedback on the Auto Museum?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Escondido? Never heard of such a place.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:56 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quit yappin' and gimme some idears. <<<----- Smiley included as not to offend tooooo much
Old 07-07-2010, 10:05 AM
ofishbein
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe a bit far for you, but you could get up early Saturday and drive about 70 miles north to Cars and Coffee in Irvine (get there by 7 though and it's over at 9). The R Gruppe guys are usually there if you like long hoods and there are always lots of other Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos, etc. on hand. Then take a nice drive down the Pacific Coast Highway back to San Diego and have half the day left.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott C
Quit yappin' and gimme some idears. <<<----- Smiley included as not to offend tooooo much
I had a 2 paragraph reply, including the suggestion on Irvine, typed up when a call came in and somehow I wiped out my post. The Escondido Friday night cruise is fun-lots of people roaming around downtown, with some Restaurants and such. A lot of cars, but 96% hot rod, classic and muscle cars.

For Irvine, the best plan is to be "wheels up" in Oceanside by 5:45am.

Who knows, there may end up being a Palomar run that Saturday as well?

The Museum is nice and they change exhibits fairly often, so look on their site for the latest. Balboa Park also has a lot of other attractions.

I may be around either Friday nite or Saturday am, if you want to try and meet up.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:42 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. We will be at Legoland on Friday so hopping over to Escondido in the evening may be tight.

I will probably stick with the Balboa Museum as we will be there for the Zoo on Saturday.

Sunday will be the beach and not much else.

Ed, thanks for the offer. It may be tight getting connected up. If we do decide to make the cruise Friday night, I will let you know.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott C
Thanks guys. We will be at Legoland on Friday so hopping over to Escondido in the evening may be tight.

I will probably stick with the Balboa Museum as we will be there for the Zoo on Saturday.

Sunday will be the beach and not much else.

Ed, thanks for the offer. It may be tight getting connected up. If we do decide to make the cruise Friday night, I will let you know.
Most people come away from the museum disappointed. It's a small place. Don't expect to be wowed. Not the Collier Collection... not even close. Although for me, it was worth it just to see the world's only complete Tucker engine in exploded view. Pretty cool. They always have a small rotating topical display for which they often draw display cars from local clubs. Datsun/Nissan now. Porsche was on display at the end of last year and into January.

Nothing on San Diego PCA's calendar.

Brett
Old 07-07-2010, 10:38 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you very much, Brett. The Tucker engine sounds very interesting. I like his story and admire what he did for the industry.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Too bad it isn't a week earlier, you could sneak over to Qualcomm Stadium to view the DE on 7/31. Only 10 minutes from the zoo.

Any bets on whether the sun shows up in SoCal by then? I actually hit rain today on the way to OC up I-5. Didn't see the sun all day...

Quick Reply: San Diego 6-9 Aug