Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 08:07 PM
RYAN J. SULLIVAN
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stubborn Tripometer

Hello rennlisters.

'82 911SC

Recently my tripometer hasn't reset to zero when I depress the reset button. Usually, the trip goes to 000.9 miles, but today after pushing it in several times (sometimes gets it back to 0) it stuck. Now the trip only operates from 000.0 miles until 000.9 miles - then it doesn't move.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
RYAN
1982 911 SC
Old 06-11-2003, 10:17 AM
Steve Wilwerding
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine does the same thing, although mine resets to zero after getting to 0.9. In any case, it's a rather common problem - the tripometer has little plastic gears that get stripped. Supposedly it's very difficult to find the little gears to buy. Best bet is to send the speedo to Hollywood Speedometer. They do good work, are reasonably priced, and usually have the speedo back to you in a week.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:47 AM
LeRoux Strydom
Instructor

The tripmeter on my SC does the same thing. only all four digits are immobilised. I once opened up the speedo, and found some broken plastic "teeth" on the reset mechanism. I'm now looking for a used or broken speedo from which I can pirate the part. If successful, I'll post some pictures of the repair.

LeRoux
Old 06-12-2003, 08:56 AM
k9handler
Intermediate

most of the problems indicated are due to resetting the trip counter while the car is moving...I learned the hard way! So the nbest thing to do is get the gears replaced and then remember to only reset when you are at a complete stand still.

Quick Reply: Stubborn Tripometer