Boxster front calipers on Carrera - track experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 11:14 AM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Boxster front calipers on Carrera - track experience

You have probably read here about the pros and cons of switching to Boxster calipers in the front on Carreras (using standard Carrera rotors). I bought a track-prepped '87 Carrera in January that has this modification. After five track days this season using Pagid orange pads, I'm generally pleased, but a problem has cropped up that you might be interested in. I have the car in the shop right now to rebuild the calipers - the brake pads are not retracting and there is heavy pad-dragging. I noticed this starting a couple of events ago, and it has gradually gotten worse. My mechanic tells me that his supplier of the Boxster caliper rebuild kits told him that track-oriented Carreras equipped with these calipers seem to be needing frequent rebuilding due to excessive heat buildup. My calipers were new as of August 2001, but I don't know how many track events the p.o. put on them before I started driving the car.

I am not calibrated on how often track cars need caliper rebuilds, so this may not be unusual, but I thought I'd bring this up for discussion.

Steve Weiner and others have indicated that the Boxster caliper "upgrade" is not advisable for track cars, although it doesn't seem to be an issue for street-driven cars.

So, track guys, what is a reasonable interval between caliper rebuilds on the various brake setups that are found on Carreras (stock, Boxster, big-red, 930, etc.)?

I may go back to stock Carrera calipers, although I'm still considering the very pricey upgrades to big reds or 930 brakes. Hmm.

Will
Old 06-14-2002, 11:07 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Will:

I thought I'd reply here as I noticed my name in here,....

Although I'm very sorry to hear of your brake problems, you really raised a good point with this thread. Your mechanic offer you some sound advice and a good diagnosis.

First, I'd answer your question by mentioning that I've never rebuilt ANY Boxster, 993 or 996 calipers yet, so your issues are not normal at all and really symptomatic of excessive brake temperatures. When these brakes are used on the track, this is when these problems arise and its indicative of the unhappy marriage between these nice Boxster calipers and the much-too-small Carrera rotors. As everyone drives differently and uses their brakes differently, no two people have the very same issues and brake component life.
As mentioned, street-only cars never have any problem with this upgrade. Its a dandy for those folks.

My soundest advice to you (or anyone contemplating) these Boxster caliper/Carrera rotor kits is to replace them with a real, honest to God brake solution the first time, once and for all. Something worth doing, is worth doing right and not having to do it all over again,...

Real effective brake upgrades are dependent upon what wheels you have and you may use:

1) 930 Brakes (15" and 16" wheels)

2) S4 (993) Brakes (16" wheels or larger)

3) Big Red TT brakes (17" wheels or larger)

One of the great payoffs after installing such effective brakes is the extended pad & rotor life afforded by low brake operating temperatures.

I won't even mention the confidence you get when slowing down lap after lap on a DE day without ever worrying about this anymore,...

Quick Reply: Boxster front calipers on Carrera - track experience