Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Where does vacuum line for 1984 911 start in engine compartment? We had the engine o

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Chip
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where does vacuum line for 1984 911 start in engine compartment? We had the engine o

We had the engine out of my car recently. Since putting it back in, I have experienced “excessive braking effort” (wording from Bentley manual) to slow the car down and it doesn’t slow nearly as well as it did. Per the Bentley manual, I pumped the brake pedal 10 times with the engine off. While holding the pedal down I started the engine. The pedal DID NOT fall slightly. I have had this car for many years and I am used to the feel of the pedal falling when I start the car. It does NOT feel like it used to. It doesn’t feel like it falls at all. (I have bled the brakes, used brake kleen to clean the rotors, and done a number of hard stops to heat up and clean the pads, so don’t think the issue is there.)

I followed the rest of the steps in 400-12 and 470 in the Bentley manual. Part of my problem is I wasn’t the lead person on the engine drop and I didn’t follow every step of disconnecting and connecting lines when the engine went out and back in. I don’t know where the vacuum line for the brake booster comes from in the engine compartment – which I am assuming it does. Can anybody either tell me where to look in the Bentley manual for a diagram that shows the path of the vacuum line from wherever it starts? I know where it ends in the luggage compartment (470-8). I am been through manual and I can’t find where it starts.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:50 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The vacuum hose for the brake mc servo is on the left hand side of the engine. IIRC, Ed's thread on Ruby's Rebuild Redux shows the engine from the front, and you can clearly see the fitting from cyl #3 intake.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

The rubber boot at the end of the hard pipe could be cracked, if you did make the connection properly. That is a pricey part...
Old 07-06-2010, 02:09 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

(edit) I just got a chance to look at the part in question. Scratch my check valve comment earlier.

Last edited by rusnak; 07-06-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Chip
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It turns out the brake booster vacuum line that was disconnected is a relatively short one that runs from the "T" connector near the bottom of the cruise control to behind a thick line (hiding the connection for the brake vacuum line from view) on the top of the cruise control module. The brake pedal now drops a little when I start the engine like it should and the car stops like it used to!

Thanks to everyone who answered.

Quick Reply: Where does vacuum line for 1984 911 start in engine compartment? We had the engine o