Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Engine surge at 2000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:43 PM
turboteko
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine surge at 2000 rpm

I have rebuilt my engine and had many of you help solve my start up noise problems. Thanks, for all of that help, I have been driving the car a couple of hundred miles and it has started to surge or "rumble" at about 2k rpm at light throttle. The motor pulls very strong and also idles very well. Tonight while driving, it just died, instant shut off and just droned when I stepped on the gas. I pulled over and it restarted instantly, drove about 3 miles and cut off again, restarted instantly. Drove about 1 mile and it cut off, restated and by now I was within a few hundred feet of the house. It did start to smell different, not a rich smell but a sulphur type smell.
Whalebird mentioned that I should post a picture so..
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2010, 09:48 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gorgous car. All the right "stuff" - 8" and 9" wheels looks great.
If I remember correctly, this is a 3.2?! There has been a run on Cylinder head temp. sensors (CHT)lately in the threads. However, the crank position/speed sensors can act funny, especially when you've had the motor out and they've been handled. They should be set at the proper "depth" upon reassembly. All these are just wild guesses on my part so... the experts will chime in and help. In the meantime, try to duplicate the problem - maybe in the driveway. It's a lot easier to diagnose when it's in failure mode.
What kind of cars are you used to working on? The other thread, you indicated experience on, possibly, V8s. You certainly have the confidence to dive into a 911 motor (which is good), but that kind of confidence comes with experience. I would love to hear what you've done in the past.
Let us know.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:15 PM
turboteko
7th Gear

Default Cars

This is a Euro '83 with a 3.0, I did cams, ported the heads. I used to race Formula Fords and did all my own motors, did drag cars and motors for years, built sprint car motors, rebuilt my 944 motor, have my own flow bench and I have a nice machine shop here at my house. I've owned this '83 for 11 yrs and pulled it because of a couple of broken studs I found when I went to adjust the valves. I completely went through the trans, shifter,clutch, brakes, while it was down so now it has a lot of new parts and it does drive very well. Except for that irretating cut off, I'd be very happy.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:24 PM
turboteko
7th Gear

Default Engine miss

As a quick follow up, I got a new coil today, put it on and went for a drive. I went about 35 miles and everything went great, hopefully that was my problem.

Quick Reply: Engine surge at 2000 rpm