Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Two more candidates for purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 04:30 PM
dsowen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two more candidates for purchase

First, thanks to everyone who offered advice regarding that last two cars I was looking at. I decided to go with the '86 Iris Blue coupe in Boulder, but my PPI was scheduled a day later than the guy who ended up buying it. The repainted '87 is okay, but I'm passing for now.

So, I'm back looking...

I really like an '88 black/black coupe that popped up on PP yesterday.

(http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...1-carrera.html)

It has 120k, current owner has had it 5.5 years (at about 2k miles/year). The two concerns I have are: he stores it outside, and is 155 a good compression on a 3.2? (I will have compression and leakdown tests performed at the PPI.) Owner has all records. I searched his posts on PP and found that he bought it for 18.5 and put the wheels on after buying it (I need to check on whether they are real Fuchs). He has also done most (all?) of the work himself.

I'm also considering this '86 white/black with sport seats and LSD.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

This car has all records as well.

The black '88 excites me more than the white '86, and it has the advantage of shoulder belts in back (so I won't have to retrofit for my daughter), and the G50 (though I wouldn't mind a 915--this isn't the determining factor.)

Any thoughts about these two cars, especially the black '88?

Thanks guys,
David
Old 07-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I like them both but there is nothing special about either one and I would not pay the offered price for either even if the PPI was excellent. If you held ai gun to my head I would chose the black one mostly for the g-50 and wider fuchs plus the other small updates for the MY. I also like that the blakc one is on Pelican and my first impression is the owner actually cared for the car.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:06 PM
dsowen
Advanced

I agree that the black one does seem to be better cared for (even if that happened in a parking lot!) I'm thinking of offering $18-19 for it (if the PPI checks out).

David
Old 07-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd sell a nut for the black one.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd look further into the white one. I can't tell which one has more tlc based on the descriptions. It has the right options. It may also come down to who is more motivated.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:45 AM
dsowen
Advanced

I'm going to talk to both owners again today. I'm still worried about the condition of the paint/body on the black '88 since it has sat outside for 5 years. And I just need more details about the maintenance and care history of the white '86.

David
Old 07-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Black cars are a PITA to keep clean.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:23 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I've seen the black one on a few fun-runs, in fact we live in the same town. Good luck with the search, white cars hide dirt, black cars luv to show every spec of dirt. ..but look so so good when clean!
Old 07-04-2010, 10:49 PM
dsowen
Advanced

Trinitony--I agree, black cars look great when clean (but, as Ed says, a PITA to keep that way!), and this one looks sharp in the photos. Since you've seen this car in person, do you have any insights into its condition, care, etc.?

David
Old 07-04-2010, 11:33 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by dsowen
Trinitony--I agree, black cars look great when clean (but, as Ed says, a PITA to keep that way!), and this one looks sharp in the photos. Since you've seen this car in person, do you have any insights into its condition, care, etc.?

David
It looked fine the last time I saw it, which was last year at one of the meet-n-greets. I don't know the owner personally, but he seems to be a car guy. Someone has been inquiring on a PPI in this area on Pelican, so if you're interested you better move quick.

My DD is black and what a pain to keep clean especially in the spring with all the pollen. Then it takes on a yellowish hue...
Old 07-06-2010, 10:58 PM
dsowen
Advanced

I'm stilling focusing on these two cars, and will speak to the owner of the white one again tomorrow to get a better idea of its history and maintenance. (One oddity with this one is that the owner is having "his friend" sell it for him--turns out the friend is a used car dealer. Seems worrisome.)

The big question I have now is this: would you buy a car that has been stored outside in D.C. for five years? The black one has been. Although I have scoured the 100 high resolution pics he posted for defects, it seems to be in good condition. It has the usual stone chips, but overall is the paint is good. Underneath it looks clean, but all of the nuts and bolts are fairly corroded. I'm not looking for a concours car, so maybe this isn't a problem. What do you all think? I'm about to commit to a PPI tomorrow, so any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks all,
David
Old 07-07-2010, 08:17 AM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From your comments, I suspect you should look at the black car in person before making a final decision. The fact that it was outside for five years isn't reason enough to walk away. It is reason enough to investigate the car in person. At the end of the day, you have to live with your decision.

Good luck
Gary
Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

If the black car has spent 5 years outdoors, the price is probably 5 or 6k too high. I'd look elsewhere, and I'm not into garage queens. That weathering will take it's toll.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:37 AM
ofishbein
Advanced

[QUOTE=dsowen;7714481]I'm stilling focusing on these two cars, and will speak to the owner of the white one again tomorrow to get a better idea of its history and maintenance. (One oddity with this one is that the owner is having "his friend" sell it for him--turns out the friend is a used car dealer. Seems worrisome.)

I know this is cynical, but I generally walk away from any car that is being sold "for a friend". I take it as meaning that there is something about to go wrong and the seller wants to be able to claim ignorance. Ranks right up there with "unmolested" on my suspicion-meter.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:39 AM
dsowen
Advanced

Gary--I agree it needs to be inspected in person. However, I'm a 9 hour drive away. My plan was to have a PPI, then fly in, inspect, and either walk or conclude the deal. Admittedly, it would be hard to walk at the point.

Ed--I think you're right. Although I can't pinpoint significant weathering damage, it has to be there. I know from experience how sun, rain, snow and pollution can do to a car sitting outside, even if well cared for.

Quick Reply: Two more candidates for purchase