Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

AC Evaporator Fan Motor

Old 06-17-2010, 12:22 PM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Evaporator Fan Motor

Guys i need your help

the ac fan motor is going out in my car. The motor is no longer available. in addition after talking with Bosch - there is no way to rebuild the motor.

part no. 01130 063 035

originally the motor went for $47 and production halted in 2006

the only replacement I could find is Griffith's for $250.....ouch

any ideas for a modification repair or simply a cheaper solution would be very appreciated
Old 06-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Tango635
Racer

What exactly is the issue with the motor? Are you sure its getting power? Maybe you just need to clean and grease bearings ormaybe replace brushes?

I'm in the same boat, but haven't had time to troubleshoot.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:22 PM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If indeed you need to replace the motor and don't mind doing a little fab work, I would suggest looking into a Spal or some other aftermarket fan. They can be found on just about any street rod site.
Good Luck
Gary
Old 06-17-2010, 05:40 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pelican has OEM motors, but spendy at $285 each. Part number 911-624-906-00-M100.

Have you looked for a good used one? I suspect the various salvage yards (Parts Heaven, etc.) would have one. Also, the Pelican used parts forum is a good place to look and also to post that you need one.

Finally, have you tried eBay? This seller says the motor is new, fits the 911 (through 84) and it's less than $90. Different part number than yours, but they might be compatible. Buyer beware! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories

One last thought...have you tried a local electrical motor rebuilder? Despite what Bosch told you, the motor might actually be rebuildable.

Charlie Griffiths is "the man" when it comes to 911 a/c, and sells quality products. Also, his product support is excellent. If you decide to go with Griffiths, you won't be disappointed.

Good luck!
Old 06-17-2010, 05:46 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, find a 911 owner who has gone the "AC Delete" route.

The difficulty in rebuilding these motors it the cost of custom making brushes if you can't find them, and then the copper parts are all worn out anyway. These motors are throw-away.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:25 PM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

Charlie's reputation is great and he does spend the time with you. His is heavier duty I believe hopefully making it more durable.

Once I get my money back from the one I did buy on Ebay that had the right description and the wrong part - will probably go with Charlie

UNLESS I Find a low mileage used one where someone is doing a delete.

ANY Outside the box solutions on using a different setup?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:43 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Kuehls is not just a replacement but an improvement. I have an 88 so can't go the Kuehl route since its only for 84 - 86. However, I was getting loud screeching and noises from my evap fan and just took it out and carefully cleaned all the crap out of the two places it rides on the "bearing" (not really bearings) and then added some good lube in there...it's working like a champ again. One option in future would be source an older a/c evap box like yours and go with the excellent Kuehl upgrade.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:45 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

You can lube the Bosch motor's end shaft bushings, I had done this myself and got a few months out of my old motor years ago but my squeal did come back... its simply a matter of how worn your bushings are since lubrication does not replace missing or worn metal.

We developed the new Wirbelsturm (Hurricane) Blower Motor which puts out 30% more air. Frankly the current price is a great value in comparison to a new OEM motor because you are getting more (air, 30%) for your money.

The Kuehl Wirbelsturm motor is designed to fit all factory air cars (having Behr evaporator boxes) in LH drive versions up through 1985 and I believe it will fit most RH drive cars as well. Installation is rather easy, we provide detailed instructions to walk you through the process.

You can adapt the Kuehl Wirbelsturm motor to drop into 86-89 vintage cars provided you can locate a early model (pre 86) box top which would comprise of the top of the evaporator box, the base plate that the motor sits in and the metal blower wheel (in 1986+ cars they changed the design of the motor and blower wheel whereas the motor is upside down and the blower wheel is plastic, hence our motor won't simply drop into an 86+ model unless you adapt it). Many clients have asked why don't we just provide a new box top and blower wheel for 86+ cars to market with our motor and the answer is simply economics at the moment: it is less expensive to locate used early parts vs. fabricating new parts, maybe someday in the future when time allows we will revisit this thought.

http://www.griffiths.com/shop/index....products_id=99
Old 07-11-2010, 04:54 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

It blows faster? Same impeller? Looks pretty good for $250 +/-

I have a spare evaporator, evap box, new in the wrapper expansion valve, etc etc in the shop. I've been thinking about building up a new evaporator blower and coil w expansion valve ahead of time, and then switching everything out rather than have to mess around with piecemealing it "in situ". My 911 is an '84, and I think the evaporator set up might have come from an '86.

Are there pics available of the instal for the DIYer?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:00 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Yes, 30% more air or 130% air if you want superhype. And with the stock blower cage.

We have pics in the installation guide. Rather easy install. I'd say less than 1/2 hour longer than a stock motor depending upon how the synapses are firing that day.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:09 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The faster or the more air you move per unit of time through the evaporator the less efficient it, the A/C, becomes.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:02 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wwest
The faster or the more air you move per unit of time through the evaporator the less efficient it, the A/C, becomes.
On any heat exchanger (condenser, evaporator, intercooler, oil cooler, etc.) the slower the air movement the higher the air temperature exiting it: this is what you experience on 911 standard 3 speed evaporator motor system, when you run fan speed 1 the air coming out is colder than fan speeds 2 or 3.

I would not confuse efficiency with the objective of moving more air through the cockpit. "Efficiency" with respect to the evaporator would suggest the design of the evaporator absorbing as much heat as possible. Hence a well designed serpentine coil is more efficient than an old style tube an fin.

The purpose of the Hurricane motor is to move more air. The benefit of moving more air is two fold. First, if you have more air passing over your skin the evaporation rate of moisture (sweat) on the skin increases so you 'feel' cooler. Secondly, if you move more air, or recirculate in the case of the 911 or 930, through the cockpit you are transferring more BTU's. That is the objective of the ac system.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:00 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by griffiths
On any heat exchanger (condenser, evaporator, intercooler, oil cooler, etc.) the slower the air movement the higher the air temperature exiting it: this is what you experience on 911 standard 3 speed evaporator motor system, when you run fan speed 1 the air coming out is colder than fan speeds 2 or 3.

I would not confuse efficiency with the objective of moving more air through the cockpit. "Efficiency" with respect to the evaporator would suggest the design of the evaporator absorbing as much heat as possible. Hence a well designed serpentine coil is more efficient than an old style tube an fin.

The purpose of the Hurricane motor is to move more air. The benefit of moving more air is two fold.

First, if you have more air passing over your skin the evaporation rate of moisture (sweat) on the skin increases so you 'feel' cooler.

All well and good if/when you start out initially sweaty. But once cooled down somewhat that high volume CHILLED and dry airflow aimed directly at your face and upper body can get VERY discomforting. That why the 996 A/C system changes modes once the cabin atmosphere is cooled to nearby the temperature setpoint. In the 996 not only will the blower speed be surpressed but all the airflow ducts will be opened to outflow, dash footwell AND windshield defrost/defog/demist outlets in order to more evenly, widely, distribute the COOLISH system airflow.

Secondly, if you move more air, or recirculate(???) in the case of the 911 or 930, through the cockpit you are transferring more BTU's. That is the objective of the ac system.
If you could put your early 911 in "pure" recirculate mode what you say would be true. But since your 911 evaporator blower intake has dual intake sources, FRESH and cabin, a higher, HIGH, blower speed will slightly pressurize the cabin and thereby FORCE already conditioned, cooled, airflow out of the cabin.

In my 996 I always use the coolest (coldest?) temperature setting, run it in FRESH mode until the HOT cabin atmosphere is purged, and then switch to recirculate mode and use the blower speed to regulate cabin comfort.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:54 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I didn't know that the AC has a fresh intake blended with recirculate. It sure looked like 100% recirculate to me. I'd like to block the fresh intake if possible.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:14 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

WildWest. Please show us the diagram for the 911 "Fresh" air mix for the ac system.
Opening a window or sliding the fresh air vent open does not count.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC Evaporator Fan Motor