Buying from a Collecter vs a Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Buying from a Collecter vs a Dealer

Sorry to post another "my buddy has this" problem, but actually I can't think of a better fountain of knowledge.

One of my friends has a small and growing collection of over a dozen classic semi valuable cars, ranging from a '66 Mustang GT covertable ( a few of these), a Caddy DeVille, several Porsches (930 Turbo Stantnose Targa, 928 GTS, a 993 TT, etc), several older BMWs, a strange Italian bodied Volvo....just a varied lot of cars.

I heard that some people don't like buying from car dealers, but he was planning to do just that.

1). Is he better off selling to collectors, as a collector;
2). through what sort of channel? Ebay? Auto Trader? Rennlist?
3). Are car shows worth paying the entry fee in order to show your car?
4). Swap meets? Such as Pomona?
5). Other thoughts?

Mainly he wants to sell cars so that he can finance his hobby of buying them. It's buying that he likes, not so much driving.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:54 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I went to the warehouse last night, and he has one of the Mustangs apart, in the early stages of a restoration. There is also a fun looking Datsun 240zx. The DeVille is awesome looking and HUGE. I found out that he needs to learn about random orbital polishers. He is literally just getting started in his hobby.

So, where would you guys advertise your cars?

Does anyone have a negative feeling toward buying from a dealer vs a collector?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:07 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dealers are in it to make money; it's their business. Amateur collectors, I've found over the years, tend to be irrationally attached to whatever they have. Not to mention there's a tendency to look at things through the "collectible" lens--whatever they've got is rare/collectible/appreciating/etc.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I would never buy a car from a dealer/broker of collectible cars, unless it was known to me how much his mark-up was, and if all of the restoration/service records were available for review. I would also require knowing the name of the seller, which would probably blow the deal anyway. Most collectors are wealthy, and don't want to open their door to an unknown, so I understand the need for a go-between. But the brokers who I've met were sadly lacking when it came to the facts concerning a particular car (I know a broker who sold a really crappy/misrepresented 356 to one of the foremost 356 experts in the country, and it got pretty ugly before the broker agreed to take the POS back). If I were a collector, I would try to develop a network of acquaintances within the clubs of the various cars I would like to own. Clubs have an interesting way of putting buyers together with sellers, and some know enough to separate the "Fright Pigs" from the "Drivers". And then there's Barrett Jackson, and other similar auction venues. My $0.02.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:12 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

That's a good point. A dealer would be willing to deal, and is not so attached to a car.

I told him he should sell the 928 GTS because of all the new water cooled and electric cars on the horizon, this might be the time to get rid of it. I don't think he knows of the 928 registry, but he knows about AutoTrader and Ebay.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:14 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Thank you, Dr. Zimmermann. Those are some words of experience. Will take time to reflect on them.

BTW, Frank is very attached to the 930 slant targa, but I told him everything is technically for sale (be open to offers), because sometimes someone sees a car and will want it.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:22 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good dealers can have bad car. Bad dealers can have good cars. It's a case-by-case search. You know the ppi deal and it is good that your friend has an objective in mind.. Think of real estate - it's easier to by a 150K house and sell it for 170K, than to buy a 260K house and try to sell it for 280K. A 12K 911 can be flipped for 14K before the 26K 911 can be flipped for 28K. This is how many of the dealers are thinking. The slum-lords are making money in the real estate bis - and Porsche bis. Keep in mind that a 911 is sold on potential. A rattly 2.7RS is still going to bring a 100k. It's the buyers job to knok the legs out from under the sellar with knowledge. An all original paint(albeit shabby), interior rought with 73000 miles is a good prosect and usually in the lower price range.
Be careful.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:30 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I doubt he's in it to make money. It seems like he needs to sell because he's run out of room to store his cars, and he loves buying them. What's good I think is that he has bought pretty much cars that are all ready to drive, and are all gems in their own genre. Frank owns a restaurant, actually several, and he's a neighbor which is how I got to know him. I am looking forward to tagging along and watching some car auctions.

Hey, I know I need to grab the camera and post pics of his Porsches, especially the slant. I think you guys would be really interested in the small small details of that car.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd actually post the 928GTS here on Renn in the 928 section. There are a ton of fans there. Depending on miles, condition and what he's in it for, it may bring decent money. Turbo Targas are pretty rare, if it is a factory slant, it obviously would be more so.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:28 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Yes, the slant is an original 1989 Turbo Targa, two owner car with low low miles. I told him to run the car and be sure to add some Stabil to the tank.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Low mileage GTSs are valuable cars, especially five speeds.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
That's a good point. A dealer would be willing to deal, and is not so attached to a car.

I told him he should sell the 928 GTS because of all the new water cooled and electric cars on the horizon, this might be the time to get rid of it. I don't think he knows of the 928 registry, but he knows about AutoTrader and Ebay.
If your friend wants some assistance selling/listing his 928 GTS please ask him to contact me. 1995 928 GTS has become quite valuable lately provided the miles are right, condition is top notch and its a 5-speed..... Several low mileage 5-speeds have eclipsed the $100k mark. Low mileage automatics will surely follow. There are only 77 1995 928 GTSs in all of North America.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:31 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Chuck, thank you. I'll find his email and PM it to you.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
Chuck, thank you. I'll find his email and PM it to you.
NP. Glad to help.

Quick Reply: Buying from a Collecter vs a Dealer