Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

replacing cams

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:18 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing cams

I have a minor tap and my mechanic says it is from the cam. One of my squirters where clogged and worn down the lobe. What is the going rate to replace a cam. I know the motor has to come out. I am pissed I just had the motor out to do a clutch. I should have had it done then. He also said that it really would not do anything to the motor if I left it that way. I am **** I do not like noise coming from my motor. Thanks John
Old 06-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't change a bad cam? Do nothing to the motor? Find yourself a new mechanic!

As a cam wears out your valve adjustment changes. As the "tap" noise increases, so does the valve clearance; which, in turn, causes more wear. As a cam lobe becomes pitted, small pieces of super-hard metal enter the oiling system, creating havoc with everything they touch.

You have two issues; (1) a plugged oil orifice, and (2) a bad cam. How do you/your mechanic, know that an orifice is plugged? Have you seen both camshafts, and verified that only one lobe is bad? What is your mechanics plan to unplug the oil passage, after all, that has to be done before the cam is replaced.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:41 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The motor was out about a month ago and he said the squirter was clogged and he cleaned it out. He said it worn the cam down alittle and that is were the tapping is coming from. He replaced the rocker hoping that would get rid of the tap. It was still there so he said you have to get a new cam or send that one out and have it fix back to specs. I think it is called regrind the cam?

Quick Reply: replacing cams