Finished tune-up

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:53 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Finished tune-up

After a bout with a sinus infection and getting a pool ready for summer, it only took 3 weekends but got done right.

I prepared myself for the worst and was lucky to not have head stud issues, or valve cover stud issues either (Like Doug Bray).

Between the Bentley and Wayne's 101 Projects, this stuff is completely covered.

The car has 79k miles and is all original (even the O2 sensor) I suspect the plugs were changed at some point. The valves were done 15k miles ago and were beginning to get noisy. Thus prompted the tuneup including:

- Valve adjustment
- Distributor rotor and cap
- Plugs
- O2 sensor
- DME Relay
- 20/50 VR1
- Mahle air filter
- Mahle oil filter
- Crush gaskets (for iceman)

I used the feeler gauge from Pelican and after a few valves it was pretty easy. The valves that needed adjustment were 2,3,5 and 6. Kinda makes sense as they see the largest temp excursions.

After all was done, I left the DME relay out and cranked it until pressure built. Inserted the relay and it roared to life.

Immediate impressions following a 20 mile jaunt is much quieter running lump, improved throttle response, more torque through the RPM range and more pull at the top end.

I did notice the temp jumped up to the first tick mark (about 8 o'clock) and didn't move. Ambient temp was about 90F with avg road speeds about 40 MPH. I may have an air bubble in the oil system somewhere. I measured the oil line temps under the passenger door and found the outlet at 170F and the inlet at 100F.

I'll keep an eye on the temp thing for now.

Now it's too damn hot to drive during the day so I'm limited to night cruises.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:57 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Very cool .... i think different oils may run different temps . I wouldn't sweat it too much .. great work ..
Old 06-07-2010, 01:52 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not likely you have an air bubble in the oil system, but if you look veeeery closely at the far far edge of the gauge, you'll see some numbers marked. Your car was probably running around 210F or so, which is normal for 90F ambient temps. If you get around 250F, then something is wrong.

Quick Reply: Finished tune-up