popping sound when turning

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:56 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default popping sound when turning

Greetings,

I've started to experience a popping sound when turning my steering wheel. (Mostly while sitting still). Had the Wife provide repetitive L/R movements of the steering wheel while I layed into the smugglers box. Nothing showed suspect within that area, as the the shaft, u-joints, etc. all looked fine and operational with no looseness at all.

While laying in the bonnet, it was apparent that the noise was from beneath the car, moreso the steering rack. I've not yet to inspect this area but would ask the following:

Within the rack, itself,...what would this (single) pop be (moreso typically) related to? Pinion and rack gears? Or something else within the rack area?

There's a bolt at the bottom of the rack (in the pics) that looks to be an adjustment of sorts...what is this piece.

I'm sure I'll see more once she's on the rack,..just wanted to shoot the question outward before doing so.

I would mention that steering is quite normal at speed, however I know better than to not look at this VERY soon.

Thanks,

Doyle
Old 05-25-2010, 08:53 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Bumperoni,...especially to the mechanics out there....oh, Bird?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:19 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess a logical place to start would be to ask if you experience pulling to one side, loose steering, pulling under braking etc. It would not take long to re-check the tightness of the rack mounting bolts.

Does the single pop occur at the same position of the steering wheel?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

A tooth could have snapped off the rack, or the two mounting bolts are loose. The hardest part of checking them is getting the cover plate off, or specifically, back on. It is a tight fit getting the second set of bolts in.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:02 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, that cover plate owns me everytime. I use a floorjack to push the cover plate in while using screwdrivers to align the bolt holes.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:30 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies.

No pulling (in any fashion),..no loose steering while driving,

I'll get under there this weekend and have a look see.....

Again, thanks.

Doyle
Old 05-26-2010, 10:45 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by dshepp806
Greetings,

I've started to experience a popping sound when turning my steering wheel. (Mostly while sitting still). Had the Wife provide repetitive L/R movements of the steering wheel while I layed into the smugglers box. Nothing showed suspect within that area, as the the shaft, u-joints, etc. all looked fine and operational with no looseness at all.

While laying in the bonnet, it was apparent that the noise was from beneath the car, moreso the steering rack. I've not yet to inspect this area but would ask the following:

Within the rack, itself,...what would this (single) pop be (moreso typically) related to? Pinion and rack gears? Or something else within the rack area?

There's a bolt at the bottom of the rack (in the pics) that looks to be an adjustment of sorts...what is this piece.

I'm sure I'll see more once she's on the rack,..just wanted to shoot the question outward before doing so.

I would mention that steering is quite normal at speed, however I know better than to not look at this VERY soon.

Thanks,

Doyle
Did you have the front end off the ground?
Old 05-26-2010, 05:19 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

No sir. ON the ground.

I hope to have her up this weekend to have a look.

Thanks,

Doyle
Old 05-26-2010, 06:25 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for the delay shepp. Been busy(good). I would work my way inward to the rack with a focus on what you have already done - steering shaft. Also I would start at the struts - top mount(which I believe is where MUSS is going with his inquiry) bottom ball joints, shake the wheels (bearing play) from top/bottom. Then shake wheels from fr/rear while the key is in the ignition so as to not engage the steering lock and make the steeringwheel move a bit from side to side. See if you can DUPLICATE the problem. All this while on the ground. If no slop/wobble/clunk/crash is found, raise the car and see if it does it with the wheels off the ground. Do the fr/rear steering from the front(each side) tire with the wheels off the ground and look for (feel for) play. If yes, you very well may have an inner tie rod (turbo style) ball joint wear issue. If no, take a pair of fair sized channel lock pliers and expand them to squeeze the tie rod end(outer) from top (nut side) and bottom and look(feel) for play - replace. If nothing, take the sheet metal gaurd off(2 17mm bolts, 2 13mm bolts) and look at the rack, all of its mounting bolt/bushings and the area around the input steering shaft. You may have to pull the steering boots back and inspect the inner tie rods(turbo or non..)for wear. There is a cover plate - spring loaded that has a wear pad that holds pressure on the steering rack, but don't monkey with that until you eliminate the external variables.
One more easy thing. Next time your in the "bonnet", With the car on the ground, just touch the top of the strut rod inside the top strut mount and bounce the front up and down with your knee on the fr. bumper (spare your fenders the stress). See if you have any up/down play.
This seems so routine in my mind, but I don't articulate myself well on a computer. I will clarify myself if I can upon any questions you have. I like to think it's a normal wear and tear component.
let us know.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:01 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

DAMN, BIRD. Good stuff......you couldn't have laid it out any better, I think.

I knew a "nest" of info from the Birdman would be forthcoming!!!!!!!!

,..and, sir, thank you.

You got those tickets yet, bro'?

My very best,

Doyle
Old 05-30-2010, 09:44 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

It looks to be inner tie rod related, and not in the rack.

We were pushed for time at the shop so I didn't even drop the cover plate to look at the steering rack attachment points...yet one could easily see that there was (so slight) play while stairing at the tied rod movement. The sound came from that area.

Here we go...........

Doyle
Old 05-30-2010, 01:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,128 Likes on 807 Posts

Doyle do you have turbo tie rods ? if not that is definitely the way to go .. It is a cheap repair either way as a whole lemfoerder kit should cost you under 200 bills.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:10 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

no,..the assembly is stock...
Old 05-31-2010, 02:40 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the affordable and superior turbo tie rods. The stock ones used a rubber bushing setup. My clouded memory has me thinking the turbo style was used on the Carreras after a point in time but I am often wrong on these details without a trip to the parts diagram.

Quick Reply: popping sound when turning