Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Battery question- 88 Carrera.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 02:17 AM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Battery question- 88 Carrera.

My 7 year battery is almost 6 years old. A few years go, I cleaned out the battery area, scrubbed the posts and installed the vent tube to vent to the exterior. I drive the car every 3 or 4 days. It always starts up immediately. I do not have a battery maintainer. I had a remanfactured alternator installed about 1 year ago (The front lights would flicker during night driving).

Well this morning the car had barely enough power for one starting cycle attempt. Then no power. I got out my battery charger and charged for about an hour and it started right up as usual. I will monitor the battery strength.

The battery terminals were clean. The cells all had full electrolyte.

But, the area under the battery had lots of chalky white/yellow powder (by product of battery acid).

My question: Is it typical that the battery area is condusive to the accumulation of this powder? The battery is covered by the trunk carpet, so I imagine that fumes can generate over time. Any suggestions on how I can prevent this from re-occurring? I am not sure if the vent tube fell off, but I will re-secure it with a hose clamp.

Quick Reply: Battery question- 88 Carrera.