Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Battery Terminals and Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery Terminals and Tire Pressure

Ok, before I even start, I will accept all criticism about my lack of knowledge about my car. I deserve it all!

However, I need some simple information/advice. I have a 1995 Carrera 4 that I am getting ready for the driving season. Last November, for winter storage, I pulled the battery and pumped the tires up to maximum pressure to minimize flat spots.

Now I cannot remember which battery cable is positive, and like the fool I admit to being, I did not mark them. I seem to remember it is the rear one toward the back of the compartment, which appears to be a heavy wrapped bare metal cable. The forward one appears to have the ground wire in addition to the cable. The manual is no help. Anyone know if my memory is correct.

Also, please tell me what you use as front and rear tire pressure. Tires are 255's and manual suggests 36 psi front and 44 psi rear, but I recall my mechanic suggesting something else. Again, I did not make a note.

I hope if I fail to record the correct information again, when I ask these questions next spring, you will all be very patient with me.

All kidding aside, any info would be greatly appreciated, as it is Sunday, and I cannot call my mechanic.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

well first thing you need to learn .. you don't drive a 911 .. you drive a 993 ... wrong forum ...

But the battery cable that fastens to the body of the car is the negative , the positive comes from the alternator and it usually wrapped in red ( the ground lead is usually bare or black ) . The battery should go in so the leads will only reach when you put it in the right way .. but you never know ..

As far as the tire pressure , go with the manual until you see your mechanic... and there is a 993 section here if you want to double check

have fun ...

PS the 993 c4 is a gorgeous and very sought after car .. congrats
Old 04-21-2010, 12:22 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Iceman. Appreciate the info. I may not know much about battery cables and tire pressures, but I do know I have a 993 (I have an 89 911 also). Once I realized my mistake, I posted on the 993forum, but didn't know how to withdraw the post I made here in error. I appreciate your patience answering my questions anyway.

Quick Reply: Battery Terminals and Tire Pressure