Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

high speed stability

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 12:48 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, you stated your car is a narrow body. Looks like a 911SC or Carrera to me (no year stated) which is not a narrow body. With the turbo tail , you'll get more down force in the rear. With a whale tail and the front spoiler, i think you get a better drivable car at speed.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

FWIW,...

None of these tails: ducktail, Carrera, or Turbo make any downforce, they simply cancel varying degrees of lift.

With the proper front spoiler, the car remains pretty well balanced at speed as long as it has a one degree, nose-down rake.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

Ron when he said narrow body i think he meant non turbo
Old 04-14-2010, 01:58 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
FWIW,...

None of these tails: ducktail, Carrera, or Turbo make any downforce, they simply cancel varying degrees of lift.

With the proper front spoiler, the car remains pretty well balanced at speed as long as it has a one degree, nose-down rake.
I was reading through just waiting to drop this comment............

What about damper valving? Were these RSR's off the shelf? Steve has a gajillion times more experience than me, but I've never seen a coil over setup on a torsion bar car that was just bolted on and worked right.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:03 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by race911
I was reading through just waiting to drop this comment............

What about damper valving? Were these RSR's off the shelf? Steve has a gajillion times more experience than me, but I've never seen a coil over setup on a torsion bar car that was just bolted on and worked right.
Good point, Ken,...

Stock RSR shock valving is just awful. It was terrible back in '73 and its still bad.

JMHO, but anyone using RSR struts & shocks needs to have them revalved to make the suspension work properly. Bilstein's compression valving is FAR too stiff, is just one example,....
Old 04-14-2010, 02:42 PM
pete917
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Ron when he said narrow body i think he meant non turbo
Yes, my mistake. I meant non-turbo body....
Old 04-14-2010, 02:45 PM
pete917
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Good point, Ken,...

Stock RSR shock valving is just awful. It was terrible back in '73 and its still bad.

JMHO, but anyone using RSR struts & shocks needs to have them revalved to make the suspension work properly. Bilstein's compression valving is FAR too stiff, is just one example,....
Thanks Steve. I bought the RSR shocks and springs off the shelf.

Have I made a mistake? How do I go about putting it right.......Is this my high speed instability problem? It sounds like it might be more likely to be the angle of attack of the car.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:12 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think steve has this one pegged. As far as front/rear rake, We always set the 911 up with 1 degree of rake taken at the middle of the door sill. Ride height measure from anywere on the body can be totally misleading. A proper corner balance and alignment will probably get you where you want to be once you address the shock valving.
Oh, I got an earfull from on old racer once concerning the differance between downforce and negetive lift.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:21 PM
pete917
Advanced

this is all really helpful - thank you guys.

To see if I have the problem that Steve has identified, could I measure the angle by measuring the distance from the floor of the sideill at front and back and thenn calculating the angle. I dont have the necessary equipment to measure at a single point.....

If this is good enough to pin point the problem I can then at least take the car someowhere to get measure accurately....
Old 04-14-2010, 04:14 PM
RL Technical Advisor

I use a digital protractor placed on the doorsills as accuracy is critical. This works on cars that have not been damaged

Naturally, these measurements are made on our alignment rack which is absolutely dead level so you need such a surface for these exercises to be meaningful.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

While I am sure the rack is by far the best mehod , fairly cheap digital protractors are eadily available that will give you som eidea. Mine for example will provide a delta difference . placed on the ground, zro it and then put it on the sill and will provide the difference between ground reference and sill ..
Old 04-14-2010, 05:45 PM
pete917
Advanced

Thanks Guys. A digital protractor it is then. Any thoughts on which one, otherwise I'll just do a general search.

Im pretty sure my garage floor isnt level. So I can either get the type like yours iceman when it takes the floor into account, or maybe put packing pieces under each wheel until its level and true.

Either way, I think this is my first piece of investigation
Old 04-14-2010, 05:55 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I phone has free bubble level applications - They work well on the springplate angle.

What tires are you running? One of my DE buddies had a set of kuhmos street tires that where really squirrley at high speed (over 110).

He changed them out - and his issues went away.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:11 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

i got mine from harbour fright, it is actually a magnetic saw balde angle calulator. I put it on a 4ft pice of flat stock i had and put it on the floor underneath the sill , zroed it , then put it on the sill . not an exact science but gives you an idea. did the same to measure my camber
Old 04-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Tango635
Racer

Originally Posted by theiceman
While I am sure the rack is by far the best mehod , fairly cheap digital protractors are eadily available that will give you some idea. ..
To quote Steve.."absolutely dead level so you need such a surface for these exercises to be meaningful."

So if you want to get it to the 1 degree spec, you're not going to get there with a garage floor, IMHO. On the other hand, if garage floor is the only method available to you, then you could error to have a little excess rake.

Also, once you have put your suspension to the correct specs, if that still doesn't get you the stability you are looking for, the next step I would try would be to lower the car. In my experience, a 1 inch drop makes a huge difference.

Quick Reply: high speed stability