Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

San Antonio Drive-by. Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 10:29 PM
murphyjp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default San Antonio Drive-by. Help please!

Well folks I'm still in pursuit of my first 911. I've missed out on a few I've been very interested in because I'm too slow, and others are too willing to buy sight unseen. I'm ok with that though. I will not commit to a PPI or buying a car before I've gotten all of my inquiries answered. I'm more than ok with making the deal and placing a deposit pending a PPI, but I'm not getting that far before the car is sold. I mean we're talking some of these are on the market for a day or two and gone. Not meant to be I suppose. The market for Porsche in my area is nearly a black hole so I'm really forced to look far and wide.

Now to the topic. I've found an 1985 Targa in San Antonio that really seems to fit what I'm looking for. The car has 122k miles, normal interior wear, dash is good, and leakdown by Jone's Autowerks returned 95/96%. This was done after his buying the car about 2 years ago. The downside is there is no prior service records before him. The original window sticker, owners manual, and service book are with the car. Not ideal concerning records etc but he's had it looked over by Jone's Autowerks and corrected anything that came up. I've talked to the owner, who seems like an honest respectable straight shooter, and gotten enough info that I want to proceed.

I'm a little timid about buying without having seen the car. I would be really grateful if anyone in the local community may be able to have a look or even drive the car for me before a PPI.

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:20 AM
Tango635
Racer

I know what you mean. I've paid for two PPI's only to have both deals not go through. The last one though, was a good reason why you should do a PPI at a good shop. They did a leak-down test (which almost any shop can do), all cylinders were 1-2%, but then the Tech noticed the crank pulley would rotate 1/2 degree before the crank would (not just any shop would catch that). So, stick to your guns and take your time. The right one will come along.

Do a search for San Antonio, I know there is at least one Lister there. Also there is an 87 or 88 black cab at Momentum Porsche here in Houston. They want about 17000, I believe. They also have a ruby coupe, this is the one with a damaged crank pulley. I would be willing to take a look at the cab for you. Let me know by PM.

Also, when you ask a favor like this, I personally think it helps to be a member. I will help you because I am a car guy, but the Rennlisters are a close-nit-group, and they do look out for one another, be it for a deal or parts or whatever the circumstance, 'listers stick together and go the extra mile for one another. Think about it.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:52 AM
murphyjp
Instructor

Thanks for the words of encouragement and your willingness to help. Message received about the membership. I'll have to rectify that.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:05 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Murphy, who owns the car? I know most Porsche folks here in San Antonio and maybe can help out.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:07 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

murphy, if you don't want to use the owner's name, send it to me in an e-mail.
rmcatee@satx.rr.com.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:49 AM
murphyjp
Instructor

Ron, email sent. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:04 PM
murphyjp
Instructor

Membership complete, now I just need to learn the secret handshake.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:30 PM
murphyjp
Instructor

I think I'm going to proceed with an offer and PPI. I would still be super appreciative if someone could have a look.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Tango635
Racer

Hey congrats on the membership Murphy. You'll find that it pays back many times over.

I hope every thing goes well on the PPI, good luck to you!!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:03 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Have Jones Autowerks do the inspection. Bob and Kevin are up front guys and there is not a more knowledgeable guy on the air cooled Porsches than Bob Jones. He will be candid about any issues with the car. I trust him with my SC completely.

Quick Reply: San Antonio Drive-by. Help please!