Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rennfax in Little Rock, AR. Can anybody help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 03:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,109 Likes on 793 Posts

Those are all tell tale signs that the paint Job is not long for this world. i hope you can live with it .. quite a few guys ahave painted there own 911s but it is a big Job , and expensive if soemone else does it ..
Old 04-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Tango635
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the warning Iceman. If the bubbles are isolated to small parts such as a window frame that can be repainted, then the repair cost shouldn't be too bad. On the other hand, if the whole body is in similar condition, then OUCH!! I'll have to take a closer look.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:05 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those were the only ones I saw. While I did look it over closely, I sure hope I didn't miss others.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Tango635
Racer

From Autotroplis.com:
Causes of Car Paint Peeling
There are normally three layers of coatings on a modern automobile: primer, paint, and the clear coat. The primer acts as a base layer for the paint, assisting with adhesion, provides a predictable surface for coating, and provides additional protection for the underlying metal. The paint is the color coat. The clear coat provides a hard "shell" that protects the paint from oxidization, minor scratches, and increases the longevity of the aesthetic benefits of the colored paint. Car paint peeling (delamination) occurs when one or more of these layers lose adhesion with the surface under it. Primer may lose adhesion to the bare metal, paint may lose adhesion to the primer, and the clear coat can lose adhesion to the paint. When this happens, large sections or flakes of paint can slough off the vehicle.

There are two primary causes for car paint peeling. The first, and most often associated with large-scale paint delamination, is the improper preparation of the painted surface. All three major domestic manufacturers have had paint problems in the late-1980's through the mid-1990's due to changes in painting processes which resulted in the failure of either the primer, paint, or clear coat.

The second most common cause of paint delamination happens when the seal of the clear coat, paint, or primer get compromised by a chip or scratch. Once the barrier has been compromised, moisture and other contaminants can begin working their way under the coatings and create a starting point for delamination. There are reported instances where a small chip in the clear coat has caused catastrophic adhesion loss to the clear coat when the vehicle was pressure washed. The pressurized water gets under the coating and quite literally blows off hard, brittle shell of the clear coat. However, this scale of clear coat failure due to a chip is rare, and is indicative of other quality issues with the paint.

I am not too worried at the moment. If I have to get the car painted in a year or two, so be it. My main concern is the mechanical condition of the car. I really like that it's got the g50 and it's the last year of the 3.2's.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:49 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

The fact that it's clear-coated at all does indicate the car's been resprayed at some point. At least I know on the 993s, Guards Red was a single stage paint w/ no clear from the factory... I assume the 89s were the same. Not that it's a bad thing, just something you may want to ask the shop to pay extra attention to.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Tango635
Racer

Well got the PPI done. The number 5 cylinder had 14% leakdown, the rest were 6% or less. There were also three spark plugs that had oil on them.

I tentatively agreed to purchase the car based on having the valve guides replaced and the condition of the cylinders to be verifyed OK by Perfection Plus, the repairs will be made by another mechanic. Once the engine is back together and running, I will have Perfection Plus have another look at the engine to verify it was put together correctly? Did I miss anything on covering myself?

The car was awesome!! Even with the valve guides worn, it was still very sweet and man...very beautiful. The guards red with the contrasting black seems to be the so perfect for this vintage. It reminds me of the poster i had of the 930 hung up in my room during college days. For some reason this car rode much better than the 84 i had tried previously. I really hope this thing come together right.

Now....valve guide replacement....
What other while-you're-in-there work is recommended?? The tubes, the cam towers and the rear main seal were leaking ever so lightly. Not sure what all is included or even if there is a gasket kit for a top end rebuild?

Also, are there any brand of valve guides to stay away from? I guess do not use porsche brand?

Hey and a BIG PLUG for PERFECTION PLUS. Those guys, Rick and Steve, are great!! They did an awesome job for me. It was the best $215 i ever spent. So glad I didn't go with the shop recommended by the sales guy. By the way for the new-be's, always do a compression test on a PPI. Sometimes, as with Perfection Plus, it is optional. Saved my wallets hiney!!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,109 Likes on 793 Posts

Well the possibilities are endless really .. If they are puling the engine out the clutch is hanging right there .. the chain ramps I would say for sure since the heads have to come off anyway .. Ed will give you a better idea as it seams he is always taking his car to bits
Old 04-20-2010, 09:04 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Who's the "other mechanic"? Don't know of anybody else in that area I would trust other than Steve!

Is it Chuck Blair at BBC? He's in North Little Rock...... he's good. That is where Steve USED to work.

Last edited by RJT; 04-20-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Added to post......
Old 04-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Tango635
Racer

Hey JoAnne,
I dont know the mechanic's name, but he supposedly is the shop manager for the Mercedes dealer there and has worked on different cars, including at least one Ferrrari, according to Dan at Corporate Motorcars. I don't think he's ever worked on an air cooled engine, so I am a little leary. I hope that any problems will show up right away or that Steve will be able to point them out.

I'll try to find out who the mechanic is.

Iceman, I said I would foot the bill for any while-your-in-there parts. I thought about the clutch, but if the deal doesn't work out, then I doubt i'll get my money or the parts back.

Alfonso.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:15 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Well..... if he's the mechanic the dealer is using and Dan has used him before, he must trust him. I doubt he wants to lose the sale or let the man screw things up and then not be able to sell the car for a long time. I am sure after the work is done Steve and Rick will check it out and be 100% truthful about how well it was done. They don't come too much more honest than they are.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:24 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

I hope it works out for you and if it does, we can meet up when you return to drive her home. Keep me posted!

Quick Reply: Rennfax in Little Rock, AR. Can anybody help?