Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911SC - Antenna problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 08:31 AM
Feeding a 911 for a while
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 911SC - Antenna problem

I have a '78 LHD SC with a non-electric radio antenna fitted in the drivers side front wing (fender?). It is fitted inside the door shut just behind the splash panel - this is apparently how they wre fitted at the factory. My question is - how does one replace it without having to remove the door? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-13-2002, 01:55 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

you sould be able to get to the antenna by removing the wheel and getting to it thru the fender well
Old 08-14-2002, 02:52 AM
Kingo
AutoX

Just took a look at my car and seems to me you gotta remove the door. If you do this, do not remove the hinges from the body. Its tempting but difficult to get properly aligned when you put it back on. Instead, use a slide hammer to remove hinge pins. You will retain proper door alignment this way.

Good luck
Old 08-14-2002, 03:24 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

i have a 83 cab and if the 78 coupe is the same u do not have to remove the door i have a stereo shop and had my guys put a new power antenna in for me. they went in thru the fender well. maybe a 78 coupe is different but i do not think so.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:41 AM
Tom F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have noticed the problem that you refer to with the manual antenna in the driver's side fender. I have never tried to remove the antenna in my car, but it looks as if you might be able to do it by disconnecting the door limiter, opening the door as fully as possible and then accessing the antenna from the gap between the door and the rear edge of the front fender. If you try it, you'd best be careful not to force the door open, or you'll bend it.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:06 PM
Feeding a 911 for a while
Intermediate

Yes - I tried doing that but it does not open far enough. I also wondered if it may be possible to remove the rocker panel. I do not know why Porsche decided to put a manual antenna in a different place to the power antenna - I would like to fit a power antenna but it will not fit in the present location and I do not want to drill a hole in the other fender.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:32 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a little off topic, so many apologies first. I have a 79SC that had its antenna removed prior to my purchase. the hole was closed, the car repainted and I certainly appreciate the clean lines.

Unfortunately, I don't appreciate the not-so-clean radio reception because there was no replacement antenna created.

Without drilling a new hole (unthinkable), or replacing the front windsheld with an antenna built-in (expensive), does anyone have a solution that has worked for them.

Yes, my 3.0 makes good music all by itself, but sometimes I'd like to listen to the Giants game.
Old 08-18-2002, 09:28 PM
Red944BRK

Slider,
Maybe you could install a short profile antenna on the rear glass like the 968's have. What do you think?

Quick Reply: 911SC - Antenna problem