Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Nippon Denso A/C compressor on early car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 04:10 AM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Nippon Denso A/C compressor on early car?

Is there any commonality in mounting points from the 3.2 engine case to an early mag case like a 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4 for example. Wondering if the later model Nippon A/C compressor and brackets from a 3.2 Carrera is adaptable to an earlier 69-73car. Will the ND compressor bolt up to the early brackets? I know "anything" can be done; just wondering how much fabbing we're talking about here.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,444 Posts

I will say yes, it can be done with some modifications but it will not be "easy". Certain studs in the case will have to extracted and replaced with longer ones to support the AC brackets and there will be one tricky area at the mounting point where the AC bracket meets the intake manifold.

It would be very time consuming for even an experienced mechanic.

Didn't they have an AC option some early cars? The Nippon unit fits tons of cars it might fit on older bracketry.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:18 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never use the chain housing studs to mount an A/C bracket. This was done on early cars and cause considerable damage to that area. That area always leaks unless you go in and replace the studs and reseal it. You need a mounting bracket set from a 75 911 or one that will fit the cavity. It bolts to the crankshaft housing and engine. I used one on my 69 911T and used a Sankyo compressor. You may have to modify some aspects of the mount since you are starting from scratch.

Early on, York compressors were used and there was a York to Sankyo adapter available. I am sure there is an adapter that can be modified to accept the Nippodenso compressor to sturdy engine mounted bracketry.

Quick Reply: Nippon Denso A/C compressor on early car?