Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

You've got to see this...........

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:15 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, it was a fairly well known example, all original. Blue with white fender "tops". Lots of magazine covers, one recent, but I can't remeber which one. I think the car has changed hands a time or two since my meeting. FYI, a little research will reveal a mildly tuned "Fuhrmann four" in the alloy-bodied 550 has a power/weight ratio up in the stratosphere of modern twin turbos. Too call them fast is an insult. Think about it.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:22 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 344 Likes on 153 Posts

The man who owned the 550 was so cool. He knew he was sick so he pretty much let folks enjoy his car. I think he passed away last year or the year before that.

Love to see some pictures of the Concours if you have a few.

Back to BadMax for a second, he had a motor to fit his name. It was a 2.4 Liter Type IV with 200+ HP, pee shooter exhaust and a 911 fan. We would take it out and chase (and catch) Corvette's.

WHOA! Those pics are big. I need to downsize them some.

BTW: I'm sort of tickled that the Subie guys are enjoying pictures of Porsches so much
Old 04-03-2010, 02:42 PM
whalebird
Race Car

No, Max was no slouch. I built a pretty quick Karmann Ghia(type 1) and could chase down a Mustang on occasion, but would not draw a parallel too Max. Like I said, it's a whole different universe out there with the old cars. 911 guys talk about fender flares and turbos(all of which I love), but the 356 guys, and gals, talk about fuel petcocks, king pins, and dropping lead. What a load of fun.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:51 PM
whiteNSXs
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

BadMax is so gorgeous. I wish I had the eyes for the 356 when I was younger. They looked so undesirable to me when I was in my twenties and I was only into the then new Porsches such as the 1989 911 and the 928. Now I am 46 and the 356s became one of my favorites. I wish I bought a few 356s when they were only a few grands each.
Steve
Old 04-03-2010, 03:02 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Believe me Steve you are not alone in the "wish we bought a few when they were only a few grand" group.

When Max came up for sale a almost a year and a half after we sold him we had such terrible sellers remorse that we wanted to buy him back, but we could not come up with a reason as to why we should pay 45 grand more for the car than we sold it for after we did so much work. It's not like the last owner added anything to the car, he actually removed the Pee Shooter exhaust, I think he had them de tune it somewhat too... It didn't look the same as when we had it. He wasn't into clean either..... Poor Max. maybe one day when we win the lottery..........

Here I am inside on the computer as Robert is outside in the cold and wind trying to finish up installing the interior so we can enjoy out new toy, the 911 There is something about 356's, but there is something about 911's too. It's not only the looks and the power, It's the smell. I can't get enough of it.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:08 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Easy come-easy go is the way of cars. Real Porsche enthusiast usually get to the point of having to own several at any point in time - thats when you know you've got it bad. happens a lot after one goes to the track - track car, daily driver with A/C, turbo, early, late, cab, speedster...can't just have one. There is a certain continuity in the Porsche marque from the early cars through the air-cool years, and I contend that it lives on in the Boxster. I haven't had a 996 or 997 yank my heart out yet, but the GT3s are a bit soul stirring.
I'm an early 911 guy at heart and am assuming that the said 911 is the '73 tribute, I can't think of more fun on four wheels. That's the good,bad, and ugly of everthing 911 and would sure suit me.
Post some pics of the tribute. I love those cars. The 964 tributes(nice ones) and the Singer 911 make me flip. After all that's what this thread is about. Real life is holding me to a 924S right now and I am truly enjoying the little car. I searched for a 924S for a couple of years and have had this one for about seven years now. Daily driver and I love it, but I am mildly searching for a 911 once again and live vicariously through these threads. Keep the pics coming.
Happy Easter
Old 04-03-2010, 05:33 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I like the color
Old 04-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Carrera Cup
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bdisco
request granted...
Old 04-04-2010, 12:36 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here is another interesting mild Outlaw that belongs Jeff Gamble. It is subtle, doesn't scream LOOK AT ME!!!!!

One More of BadMax showing the Fuel Safe fuel tank we installed.

Quick Reply: You've got to see this...........