Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How do you turn your EGR light off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:47 AM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you turn your EGR light off?

Can someone give me some insight on turning off EGR light. I drove my car to Sebring this past weekend and on the way back to GA. my EGR light came on.

This is a 75 911S and the owner's manual does not state how to turn the light off.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:01 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IIRC there is a reset button on the EGR relay. I would have to refresh my memory as to where it is and if it even applies, but that is common on 70s vintage German cars. Someone else may chime in here with more useful info. I will stay posted to find out myself.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:13 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A quick search confirms an EGR "relay" as I call it, but as I suspected it is tied into a milage counter that activates a light at a determined milage interval. It should be behind the speedo/tach. My old BMW had the same set up and it was a rubber covered button that was less than obvious, but a poke with a screwdriver point would reset it. There was an audible click when done. The haynes manual referances this at some point. If anyone has the factory manual for the mid years 911, it should be outlined in there. For gags, you should take it to the dealer and watch them try to find the diagnostic port.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:57 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

Thanks Whalebird, I will pull the speedo & tach this weekend to see if I can locate the reset for the egr.

Originally Posted by whalebird
A quick search confirms an EGR "relay"
as I call it, but as I suspected it is tied into a milage counter that activates a light at a determined milage interval. It should be behind the speedo/tach. My old BMW had the same set up and it was a rubber covered button that was less than obvious, but a poke with a screwdriver point would reset it. There was an audible click when done. The haynes manual referances this at some point. If anyone has the factory manual for the mid years 911, it should be outlined in there. For gags, you should take it to the dealer and watch them try to find the diagnostic port.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Mark Cummins
AutoX

Pull the speedo and use a long screwdriver to push in the reset on the counter
Might have to use a flash light to see the reset on the counter
Old 03-24-2010, 11:22 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

Thanks Mark

Originally Posted by Mark Cummins
Pull the speedo and use a long screwdriver to push in the reset on the counter
Might have to use a flash light to see the reset on the counter

Quick Reply: How do you turn your EGR light off?