Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil sump plates

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 08:30 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Oil sump plates

I am getting a little seepage of oil around the gasket for the original stamped oil sump plate. It currently has the original stamped steel sump plate that I'm sure has long since been flexed and thus no longer provides an even pressure seal on the gasket. Has anyone gone to the aluminum milled one that Pelican sells. I would think that being more rigid it would seal better. I also have heard that you can find a flush mounted hex head bolt for the drain so as not to have the normal bolt extend further downward. My car is lowered and I don't need less ground clearance especially from such a critical part. Comments please.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Sounds like the cover is warped from being overtightened and thats not uncommon.

You can use the aluminum ones as long as one is careful with a low car. Aluminum doesn't bend like steel: it simply breaks when struck so thats something to consider.

JMHO, but if you are concerned about the length of the drain plug, your car may be too low for street use. The OEM ones are magnetic and thats a very important feature.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:00 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Steve:

I agree that it has probably been over tightened from time to time. I'm not the first , second or third owner. I'm still in the research mode. The car is at Euro height which is lower than US. Thanks for the comment

Quick Reply: Oil sump plates