Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ghetto newbie question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Ghetto Jack
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ghetto newbie question.

I'm the first to admit I don't know much about Porsches. I never even really wanted one until I found the one that I'm looking at now. I found what appears to be a late 1960's 911 in beater-car condition without an engine or transmission for about $1000.

I have a few basic questions:

1. We've done a lot of pretty intensive work to the Volkswagens we've had over the years. Is installing an engine, transmission, axles, etc. any more or less difficult for a backyard mechanic?

2. How much will a good used engine and tranny cost?

The 911 I've found seems completely intact and correct except for the lack of engine and transmission, and the fact that some tool put some 1980's Recaros in it. It has some surface rust, but upon crawling under it, the underside is clean and mostly rust-free. I have no intentions of restoring this car and making it look nice. My intention is to put a powertrain in it, get the suspension and braking system working properly (assuming that it isn't already), and drive the **** out of it. How hard can that really be?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:30 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like fun. Check into the smog or vehicle inspection req's for your area, and start calling around. You can fit pretty much any air cooled motor in there, but a G-50 transmission might be a little bit more difficult.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:03 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Depending on engine/trans selected, you could easily hit $8K for a good engine and trans. Rebuilding a motor is pretty expensive, you can easily reach more than $8K redoing an engine alone with no big upgrades.

Then, you get to suspension and brakes.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:57 AM
AGW911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen 2.2 (which I believe is the correct engine for that car anyway) on Craigslist for $1000, can't vouch for the quality of what you are getting though. I have seen 3.2 for $3000 as well. You might get lucky and you might get a real lemon. Then, as has been mentioned, it goes up from there.

Your best bet is to probably look for someone parting out a car and try to get all you need from there.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:33 AM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Check out 'Weekendrides' in PA they are all over Ebay. They seem to have a lot of decent deals on engines etc..... PICS?!?

Quick Reply: Ghetto newbie question.