Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Feed-back on '85 911 purchase please

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 03:57 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a good example of "Porsche fever." Matt really wanted a coupe, but got "bitten by the bug" when he saw the shiny red convertible. Kudos to who everyone who tried to "talk Matt off the ledge," and kudos to Matt for listening.

There are plenty of nice coupes out there, especially for that kind of money. Keep searching, you'll find 'er!

Last edited by scottb; 03-10-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Scottb! You are right, I really did get blinded by the pretty convertible and almost lost it :-)

I've got two coupes lined up for this weekend, one '79 sc and a Carrera. I'll share more info once I've looked at them and know if they are serious considerations or not.

thanks all for your help. Floete's purchasing thread has been very useful for me as well. Fun to follow a fellow p-car enthusiasts hunt for a car.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:04 PM
floete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, Matt: Here's a new pre-PPI rule I intend to (try to) follow.

My new rule is to (probably) walk away if 1/ the car I'm considering doesn't have an indy mechanic I can talk to 2/ the owner won't give me the mechanic's name or 3/ the mechanic can't talk to me because he's got wife problems.

I just walked away from one car following rule 3.

In two other instances, I feel that I had my first-timer's bacon saved by talking to the car's mechanic. The latest time was earlier today. Every time I asked the mechanic a question, he hemmed and hawed and left a lot of air around his words. He seemed to be in some kind of pain. Then, toward the end, he kind of said, "Isn't there a car closer to where you live that you can look at?"
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure he was trying to tell me something without being explicit about it. I walked.
In the first instance, the mechanic more or less told me outright that the car had issues that I probably wouldn't want to deal with. I walked.

I don't know if this is unique to Porsche wrenches, but so far I have found them uniformly helpful and as forthcoming, one way or another, as they can be.

Good luck w/ your two cars. Let us know how it turns out!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:15 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, There are a lot of guys in this forum that do their own work and some of them are fanatical, ****, and experienced. I would buy from them if they didn't have an indy mechanic.

I bought my car from a guy that did all of his work. He was very detail oriented and kept documentation of everything he bought and did to the car. The car was in great shape. Was it perfect? No. After seeing the car and driving it a PPI followed. I even posted here before I bought it about the fact that the guy rebuilt the engine and went from a 3.2 to a 3.4.

I'm no expert but what I have learn is that there is not one way at approaching these cars. There is a general approach but not a step-by-step approach. I think most of the people here will tell you that whatever you do, make sure you get a PPI. Otherwise have fun looking.

Quick Reply: Feed-back on '85 911 purchase please