Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Metal click on dash

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:55 PM
icos1971
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Metal click on dash

My first post here and I hope someone can help me out. I recently just replaced my starter motor with a rebuilt mini-starter. The mechanic had to rewire it to reach. So now after installing, the car would only start on the third turn of the key. But the most annoying problem is the CONSTANTmetal clicking sound every 6 secs. coming from the dash by the middle vent. When I open my driver door it stops and my power window doesn't work anymore. The open door buzzer stopped as well. The battery seems fine. Any suggestions?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Suggestion? I'd go back to the "mechanic" who allegedly had to "rewire" to hook up a new starter. I've get to see a starter that will bolt to a 911 and not allow the stock wiring to work. I've got the smaller High-torque starter and it hooks right up to the standard wires.

It sounds like some connection is suspect. Again, I'd go back to the installer.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:56 PM
icos1971
AutoX

My car is an '89 911 3.2 with the g50. Larger than the 915 tranny.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

That should make no difference in wire length.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:29 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

i would take it to a real starter shop and have them fix it .. sounds like these guys have no idea.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:16 AM
icos1971
AutoX

The mechanic has been working on 911's for 30 years. I sometimes question myself on why these things are happening to me. I actually took the care for the service elsewhere but it was too far away. Both mechanics know a lot of things but there are new things to discover as well.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:41 AM
icos1971
AutoX

I called the mechanic and he said there should be no issues with the wiring; he just added a connector to the wires.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:01 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

electricity is magic. strange electrical (& even non-electrical) things can happen behind / under the dash when mods (electrical or not) are performed behind / under the dash. it isn't always (ever?) a clear & direct association. all you believe is that there is a temporal correlation between the starter being replaced + the ignition wiring modified & your new problem. so, rather than us speculate on the myriad of possibilities, why not go back (w/ the car) to your highly qualified, 30yr pro 911 mechanic & have him check it out?

if you hang out there while he analyzes it, he may reveal that he screwed something up (no charge!) &/or you might learn something new & interesting. on old 911s, it is not unknown for failures take place when something nearby or functionally associated has been fiddled with... like a voltage spike or short at the ignition switch caused by a tool making contact to metal somewhere nearby.

curious about the start procedure - please tell us more, "only start on the third turn of the key" - I'm not clear what that means - it takes 3 attempts to get the starter to engage, or the start function takes place at a different ignition key position now? in either case... not kosher. good luck!
Old 03-08-2010, 12:33 PM
icos1971
AutoX

It takes a third attempt to start. Honestly I thought I was stranded again. But it will start only after I hold it a little longer. Its an '89 model and I would think by then everything would be sorted after 24 years. But anyone looking at the placement of starter motor, wires and fuses, this car makes no sense. Its sloppy design.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icos1971
It takes a third attempt to start. Honestly I thought I was stranded again. But it will start only after I hold it a little longer. Its an '89 model and I would think by then everything would be sorted after 24 years. But anyone looking at the placement of starter motor, wires and fuses, this car makes no sense. Its sloppy design.
Huh? The 911 is actually a pretty well layed out and robust design. It is pretty easy to work on. The only exception is the HVAC.

If your car has been modified, all bets are off.

Sounds like you may have an issue with your starter; solenoid or something.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:07 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

911 are a little unorthodox by design. They require experience and it sounds like you may have a qualified tech, but be patient. I know you are frustrated and thats understandable. It sounds like you may have a "multi-headed dragon" - more than one problem. Furthermore, the starter failure; Is that the problem or a result of a problem. Is it the chicken or the egg? You can clean up eggs all day long but you won't solve the problem until you solve the chicken. I would most certainly take the car back to your tech and give him a shot at further diagnosing the problem.
What kind of work has been done to this car? After-market alarm/stereo? Any engine/suspension mods? and when did you first start noticing the problem?
Old 03-08-2010, 02:31 PM
icos1971
AutoX

The engine was rebuilt @250K miles and it has 301100 right now. Daily driver that drives nice.The car is pretty stock except for the rebuilt mini-starter. I probably will take it back but I spent quite a few bucks already......
Old 03-08-2010, 03:40 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The starter will not turn over unless the little gear on the solenoid is kicked out all the way first. It could be sticking. Try cutting the old wire off, and installing a thicker, or "primary" wire and a higher quality connector. You can get some nice ones at Orchard Supply Hardware, and primary wire can be bought anywhere. It could be that you need more power to the starter. Either that, or return the starter for another one.

The ticking could be the alarm module. To find out, you have to remove the trunk cover and look around for the source of the ticking. Put your hand on the components to try to feel for the clicking. The components are identified in the Bentley Publishers service manual.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:01 PM
icos1971
AutoX

Does anyone know where the starter relay is??
Old 03-22-2010, 02:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

it is usually bolted right on to the side of the starter..

Quick Reply: Metal click on dash