Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Shop to make grey import car legal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Shop to make grey import car legal?

For a friend, asking if anyone knows of a shop preferrably in the LA area but anywhere in the southwest or anywhere in USA ok. I'll let friend decide how far away he wants to go.

Anyway friend has a 73 911 grey import and a recent relocation to CA requires he have the car make CARB compliant so he can continue to register and drive the car.

Any recommendations? I know of one shop in Santa Cruz CA that did this for some Porsches (959s) some years ago but recent word on this shop is not good. Reputation appears to be falling faster than a Democrat congressman's chances of re-election.

Anyhow, post any replies or PM me. Your choice.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:40 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

http://www.callasrennsport.com/

Its a start
Old 03-07-2010, 06:57 PM
87turbo87
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know anything about CA inspection requirements but what do you need done for a '73 (gray or not)? Does CA have a 25 year old QQ (historic) rule like we do in NJ? Meaning, can you get a limited use exemption?
Old 03-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by 87turbo87
I don't know anything about CA inspection requirements but what do you need done for a '73 (gray or not)? Does CA have a 25 year old QQ (historic) rule like we do in NJ? Meaning, can you get a limited use exemption?
That's a good point. I vaguely recall the cut off date is '75 for emissions compliance. I'll pass this on to friend and suggest he do some more investigation.

OTOH, I think he was in contact with DMV and was told the car would require having fitted the hardware required for CA cars the same year as his. Seems being a grey market car could make the car exempt from the '75 cut off point.

He needs to find out for sure though, so your point's taken. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Canepa in NorCal is the company who first made the 959's legal in that country, I believe.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:52 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Canepa in NorCal is the company who first made the 959's legal in that country, I believe.
My friend is aware of that shop but the shop's rep seems to have suffered some but he has not ruled the shop out. He is seeking to learn about all shops so he can make the best decision.

Oh, car is a '79, so it has to have CARB compliance.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:24 AM
SC UrQ
7th Gear

Check if Northern California Diagnostic Laboratories is still doing the federalizing process. They had been federalizing 959's years ago when they were one of our sponsors when i was racing w/ audi.

i think they usually go by NCDL.

Michael
Old 03-08-2010, 02:29 AM
SC UrQ
7th Gear

Just checked, yup, still around: http://www.ncdlinc.com/NCDLINC/HOME.html

Also, if the car is a 73, you don't need to smog it in CA, and here in this state, there arent safety inspections like there are in many others. But NCDL was federalizing 959's before canepa to my knowledge... God i got to see some awesome stuff when i hung out at that shop... Not the least was the owner's daughter... omigod!!! quite the beauty.
Michael
Old 03-08-2010, 09:45 PM
jaeger86
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I brought into California a grey market 1986 Carrera a few years ago and had to go through this procedure to get it licensed. I live in Santa Cruz and ended up taking it to Mike at N.C.D.L. in Napa to have the work done. Bruce Canepa here in town was never a licensed importer so he could not legally do this work. You must seek out a licensed importer whom California will accept as doing the work. At the time that I had my work done there were three in California, N.C.D.L. and two others on the L.A. area. I believe you can contact the DMV and they can give you a current list of who is legally can perform the work. Curt

Quick Reply: Shop to make grey import car legal?