Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Talk about a "discovery",..GEEZE....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 05:19 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never heard about installing the dme relay in the vertical position. Hmm...I wonder if air circulation also might help (these things seem to burn the contacts).

I read somewhere about installing foam under the dme brain to minimize shock and cracking of the solder joints.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:30 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not heard of advantages with vertical mounting approaches (either)....clearly, any additional cooling would be beneficial (to almost anything),..however, contact burn is another issue...moreso related to contact(s) materials,..even, moreso, the loaded device and how it takes the buss voltage,..as arcing can be the decided age factor, in the end. I've not heard of coils weakening with age...I've 4 older DME relays , all having freshly burnished contacts (with some meat still on 'em")...I just keep 'em around...as I religiously change out the DME relay annually (as a preventive measure,..and being addicted to fresh metals that conduct electricity).

NO DOUBT that vibration reduction of both Relay AND DME chassis would be beneficial. Vibratory conditions will take their own style of "toll"........so,...to isolate these 2 would be considered an improvement, in my book. Lotsa' time, heat (alone) will begin to marginalize some high current solder points ( or some that may be pulling more current than they should be) ,..then one throws in the vibration factor,..then you've a compounded situation (all supporting fractured solder pad points).

They (DME problems, that is) could manifest anywhere:,......coil driver T.O. can,..........fuel injector drivers, etc........

When I change out my DME relay,..I always seem to think that she runs a bit better,..as an engineer, I would certainly question myself and go to quantifying and researching........psychological, possibly. Better current flow? higher (slightly) voltage to the fuel pump? WTF,..I can't say that I know, for sure.

As to contacts, well,..there goes the old Carbon build up, no? Arcing certainly causes this over time (therein my annual DME relay changeout).

Doyle

Last edited by dshepp806; 03-09-2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

With a couple of recent posts from owners that had water damage to their car's brains, vertical mounting may be beneficial if one could not control water ingress. But then again, controlling the water problem would be wiser.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:06 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed,..H2O should be the least concern of the DME relay....

Quick Reply: Talk about a "discovery",..GEEZE....