Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

On-board Dyno Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 02:54 AM
aadrew10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On-board Dyno Project

Just finished up a project in Experimental Methods. Mounted strain gages on the axles to measure torque, and used an accelerometer to measure wheel RPM. From this, calculated HP. Engine has 98mm Mahle pistons and cylinders, possibly a fancy cam, and a better exhaust. I forget what kind. Horsepower value is of course, HP to the ground.

Hope you enjoy the project.

- Andrew
Attached Images                
Old 03-05-2010, 02:54 AM
aadrew10
Instructor

cc
Attached Images    
Old 03-05-2010, 04:01 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That is kinda cool, but your iphone has an app that only requires you to know the weight of the vehicle. It uses GPS.
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2010, 09:51 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Very cool. If you could miniaturize and use wireless comm, this could be an option on production vehicles. It could be a feedback mechanism for stability control or torque measurements in vehicles like tractors.

This may have commercial applicability.

Thanks for sharing it was very interesting
Old 03-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
That is kinda cool, but your iphone has an app that only requires you to know the weight of the vehicle. It uses GPS.
Which AP is it? I know of Dynolicious, & G trac, & Pocket Dyno.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2010, 09:53 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool project.
I know that some semi tractors have torques sensors in the drivetrain.
We had to get a replacement tractor on tour once because one of the rigs had a failed torque sensor in the tranny, and the driver didn't want to pull the trailer over the rockies without it functioning properly.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:49 AM
928drvr86.5
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It appears that you have the instrumentation package mounted directly to the half-shaft. Unless I am missing something in the pictures, the centrifugal forces induced on the part by doing that will cause inaccuracies. You should never mount anything extraneous to the test part. I realize you have done this because you did not have a way to commutate the bridge wiring back to the analog to digital input of the instrumentation package. However, there are quite a few slip-ring manufacturers that make products to address that issue, but it wouldn't fit within your in-expensive parameter. There are several wireless torsion transducers available, but again the cost would be prohibitive for a hobbyist.

Additionally, as i look at the pictures, it appears that what you have wired is a full bending bridge or possibly a Tension & Compression bridge. I am not able to discern which it is because i cannot see the gage grids well enough, but what i can tell you is that neither one of these is the optimal application for measuring torsion. Could it be calibrated to do so? Yes, and obviously you have, but a torsioin bridge would be far more sensitive and accurate for measuring torque as the principal strain. Finally, rather than having all 4 gages of the full bridge mounted to one side of the shaft, you should have 2 gages (1/2 the bridge) mounted on one side of the shaft and the other 2 (2nd 1/2 of the bridge) mounted on the opposite side, 180 deg apart.

Last edited by 928drvr86.5; 03-07-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-07-2010, 10:44 AM
928drvr86.5
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is how a torsion bridge is layed/wired. It's recommended to use gages specifically designed with a symetrical torsion grid at 45 deg., but you could use regular gages hand laid at 45 deg. Accuracy in regards gage placement effects the calibration values significantly.

Even when gages manufactured for torsion are used you should expect some difference in calibration for the clockwise and counterclockwise torques.
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2010, 12:43 AM
aadrew10
Instructor

Thanks for the input Ben. The gages we used are the same gages have pictured at 90 degrees apart and wired how you suggested. It would be wise to put them on opposite sides though. We calibrated the gages with the torque in the same direction the axle sees when accelerating.

Would a slip ring be able to handle the vibration and bouncing movement from the road?

Old 03-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 189 Posts

Very interesting engineering project!! I had a brainstorm about doing something similar to this, and by similar, I mean very vaguely similar. I theorized that if you replaced the actual axle with a splined torsion spring, you could get a little more deflection, and use lower resolution instruments. If you had a trigger (magnetic or otherwise) on the transmission output flange, and one on the wheel flange, you could gather enough data to calculate wheelspeed, angular velocity, and looking at the pulse timing you could calculate the twist in the torsion bar (and calculate torque if you know the spring rate of the bar). I have put VERY LITTLE thought into actually implementing it, so I'm sure there are many hangups, or maybe its not possible at all. Perhaps it would only put up with the torque from 4th or 5th gear without risking fracture. It would eliminate having to mount most components to the axle....

PS, depending on the reliabilty of your device, you could use it to provide closed loop feedback to optimize ignition timing, looking for best torque at cruise etc etc. Lots of possibilities. Have any access to computer geeks, and mega squirt? That is an adaptation that would probably give your hippie professors a hard on for fuel economy.

Thanks for sharing!!

Quick Reply: On-board Dyno Project