Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Quick question, need some info

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:20 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Quick question, need some info

I was curious if anyone knew what the inside diameter of a steering colomn repair bushing is? I'm looking for the plastic bushing that slides over the steering shaft, but not for the intended use. I'm hoping for 22mm, with an overall outside dimension of 24mm(thin part). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:28 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I measure mine a while ago as it wouldn't go in when I tried to install it. This is what I got:
OD is 0.955" = 24.25mm
ID is 0.865" = 21.9mm
Old 03-04-2010, 09:11 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Thank you salukjac. That answers my question. I am rebuilding the power steering rack in my 924S and there is a plastic bushing that locates the rack at it outermost position on the passenger side. It is currently unavailable in the aftermarket and intended to be reused. I destroyed mine upon disassembly and wanted to fabricate something to work. It does not hold pressure and simply allows the rack to slide and the diminsions you've given me are very encouraging. I will order one and see if I can make it work. If I it works, it will help solve one of the great problems in the 944 world. Currently i have been shaping a 911 shifter bushing to fit, and it's close, but I am not completely happy with it. Your info is very helpful to my project. Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:27 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

You can contact Mitch Leland before you order and he can probably answer any questions you have. He's very responsive and helpful. Let me know if you need the e-mail address and I'll PM it to you.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:42 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1. Call Mitch, he's the man.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:14 PM
whalebird
Race Car

years ago there were a batch of hard plastic IIRC, Thats what I'm looking for, most of the bushings are thin metal and that not going to work. I've abandoned this direction for now unless I can get the bushing in plastic. You guys have been totally helpful thus far and I thank you.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:16 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I can tell you about the Edge Shaving Gel can trick, but I got totally lambasted on Pelican for posting that one.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:16 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

I measure mine a while ago as it wouldn't go in when I tried to install it.
BTW, my bushing was within specs when I measured mine. The problem is with my column not the bushing itself. As a matter of fact Mitch worked with me on this and modified mine. Just want to make sure there is no misunderstanding on the quality of the bushing.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:32 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Interesting point here. I remember years ago installing a 930S steering wheel in a 1970 911. I found out the hard way that steering shafts for the 911 are different in the early cars - 1974 - 89 is the same IIRC. But only slightly different. I think a search thru the MOMO wheel hub application chart confirmed this. I bring this up because I remember talking to a guy about this and he argued that all steering shafts are the same - an easy misconception. I will look around and see if I can find out for sure and post back. Could be valuable on the search function.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:35 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Yes, Mitch has a replacement split ring washer now that he is testing for the pre-'74 cars.

Not only are the steering shaft not all the same (the splines are but that's it), from car to car and from year to year the shafts vary in thickness, which is the reason for the plastic insert inside the ball bearing. It allows an interference fit because the plastic is designed to deform slightly.

Whalebird, I think you were referring to the "928 sleeve". I might have my extra one. I'll look.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:16 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Thats it rusnak, the 928 sleeve. But I am looking for a plastic one if such exists. It seems I recall a plastic version, but all I seem to find is the metal ones that are the standard.
I did see the split ring washer thread. Sometimes it's these little things...these cars can really be a pursuit. Again, this is going into the steering rack of my 924S,
Thanks again
Scott

Quick Reply: Quick question, need some info