Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Can I...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 01:11 PM
jtilden
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I...

mix up some more epoxy and apply it around the suspect area on my pop off valve without having to remove the pop-off valve anymore? I still have a vacuum leak even though I have mounted the valve flush to the air-box. It took me two attempts to finally get it right (or so I thought) after breaking the seal and re-gluing twice. Since it is mounted flush I am a bit hesitant of prying it up again. Has anyone ever just mixed up epoxy and reapplied it in this matter or should I just pry it up, re-sand the area, and try it again? My problem seems to be that I can't get a good bead around the valve because you have to mix the epoxy and then smear it on with a putty knife. Is there an epoxy out there that comes pre-mixed in a tube that can just be applied like toothpaste? TIA
Old 03-01-2010, 07:43 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

damn pop off valves are more trouble than there worth .. I think you will have to redo it. Are you sure this is where your leak is coming from ?

I think all epoxies have to be mixed. I actually glued my airbox back together with marine silicon. it took about 3 days to get tacky and about a month to really cure though so that might not be an option. The beauty of that though is it has a little give and will seal for sure. hard expoxies can fracture and leak

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...hlight=air+box

Last edited by theiceman; 03-01-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:58 AM
tr4guy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried a heavy duty "Liquid Nail"??? That stuff really holds on if you let it set up for 24 hours and the best part is you can get a good bead with a caulking gun.....
Old 03-03-2010, 11:31 PM
jtilden
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem solved...I was told about using urethane sealant so i gave it a shot...WOW...sealed up PERFECTLY...now she purrs like a kitten...it comes in a caulk tube so i got a perfect bead around the POV
Old 03-03-2010, 11:50 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't know what to use either, so I've been curious as to what the solution would be.

I Googled Polyurethane Sealant, and found this:

Manufactured through the reaction of glycol and an isocyanate, polyurethane is an organic compound with particularly good moisture- and corrosion-resistance characteristics. Thus, polyurethane sealant is useful in both industrial and commercial applications. Additionally, polyurethane is often used as a heavy-duty adhesive, as well as a coating.

A polyurethane sealant may be pressed, layered, sprayed, or brushed onto joints. However, the most common method of application is with a caulk gun. Most poly sealants are sold in 10-ounce (295.74 milliliter) tubes that will fit the common caulking gun.

As well as being resistant to moisture, chemicals, and corrosion, polyurethane sealant is noted for its flexibility. A common problem with joints is the expansion and contraction of the joint. Polyurethane sealants, with their inherent resiliency, are particularly resistant to cracking due to movement of the joint materials.

Polyurethane sealants are available as either one- or two-component compounds. Since the typical residential user of a polyurethane sealant desires ease of use, the basic residential polyurethane sealant is a one-component product. This means there is no need to mix ingredients prior to use.

The typical polyurethane sealant is hydrocarbon-based. However, with the advances in water-based polyurethane technology, effective water-based, or latex, polyurethane sealants and coatings are now available. These water-based polyurethane products are noted for their low-odor, low-variable organic compound (VOC) content, and ease of application and cleanup.

In addition to producing an excellent sealing compound, polyurethane, both water-based and oil-based is often used as a wood coating. The identical factors that are beneficial in a polyurethane sealant contribute to its effectiveness as a poly coating. Polyurethane’s resistance to abrasion, its scuff resistance, makes the product a superior wood-floor coating.

A quality polyurethane sealant will adhere to masonry, wood, concrete, steel, aluminum, vinyl, and most plastics. Its flexible, yet durable finish not only protects these vulnerable materials, but, when used as a coating, provides a gleaming, blemish-free finish, as well. Obviously proper application methods must be used to achieve the desired results. Polyurethane coatings work especially well as an anti-corrosive on metal products. Some experts even recommend polyurethane coating over powder coating for protecting metal, though a textured finish, which many people require, is difficult to achieve with polyurethane coatings.

Glad you got it fixed, jtilden

Quick Reply: Can I...