Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

87 Carrera question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 01:18 AM
Al Cody
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Carrera question

I am looking at an 87 coupe. Very nice car. Seller says it has the sport option. This includes the front and rear spoiler. anyone know what else, if anything, is in the option? I don't have the code# Has Bilstien sport shocks, not sure if they are original or not.
thanks, Al
Old 02-22-2010, 02:31 AM
Diamond Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As I remember the sport option would be front and rear spoiler but don't believe Porsche shipped with Bilstien Sports (would be a good thing)most likely HD shocks. The codes for the options on the car would be located inside the front hood. Make sure to get an independent PPI on the car and have them check head studs as Carrera's are seeing more lower studs breaking as they are getting up there in age. Here is a place to look at the option codes Option Codes
Old 02-22-2010, 11:53 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, there are options and then there are Options. M491 would be "Turbo Look" with turbo spoilers and fenders, brakes, etc etc. 505-6 is slant nose, etc. It would help to find out the option code.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:56 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

In international circles the M491 option - (wide body, turbo suspension and brakes) is considered the "super sport".

On the 1987 I have heard the sport option to include spoilers (front and rear) and sport seats.

Have them check the owner's manual - usually they put the "option sticker" on the front cover of the owner's manual. The option codes will give you a better understanding of what is really on the car.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would be the green bilstein shocks if they are the sport shocks
Old 02-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Cody
I am looking at an 87 coupe. Very nice car. Seller says it has the sport option. This includes the front and rear spoiler. anyone know what else, if anything, is in the option? I don't have the code# Has Bilstien sport shocks, not sure if they are original or not.
thanks, Al
Hi Al,

OEM Bilsteins usually had Porsche part numbers on them, replacement ones just have the Bilstein part numbers.

All OEM Bilstein's (HD) were green as Porsche never offered the Bilstein Sport shocks (yellow) as an option.

Quick Reply: 87 Carrera question