Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ruby's Rebuild Redux

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I also figured it would be a good time to put my battery on the trickle charger, as I'll be calling on it soon to kickstart this baby.

I'm also going to send my injectors off this week for a clean and test-the odds of them firing after 2 1/2 months may be in question.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Radcap
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Ed, What day did you want me to bring mine over so you can start on it?? haha, Fantastic job so far, an inspiration!! Makes me want to do something....

Rod,
Old 05-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Ha, I'm going into retirement again-I need to take my life back!
Old 05-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I'm amazed at WitchHunter's injector service! I pulled mine Monday afternoon and took them to UPS before they closed. Estimated delivery to Seattle was Thursday. First thing Friday I get a "click and ship" notice that they're on their way back to me!
Old 05-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

OK, since I'm finally home today, I finished wiring the second coil. I have the splitter all wired and mounted now, I fished the two new coil wires back thru the backseat footwell grommet along with the engine harness bundle, and routed it up alongside the bundle all the way back to the coils. Put on some new spade connectors, and voila, it's wired for twin-plug ignition. I then enlisted my neighbor to help me lift the engine down off the stand and onto the ATV jack. I should have my injectors back Tues or Weds, so they'll be ready to slap on Saturday morning. Pretty close now....."maybe" next weekend, it depends on how tired I am when I get home Friday night. If I didn't have to travel so much, this would've been done weeks ago.
Attached Images      
Old 05-09-2010, 06:02 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I feel like I'm dragging, but I did work diligently for about 5 hours today:

1. Got to use the welder AND the drill press. I made a couple of brackets for my coils. I tell you, 1/2 an hour was spent pondering the design. I was going to try and use the existing studs, but it would have been more complicated and a bit tight. These are the times when I have the ULTIMATE in respect for guys that build race cars. The fab stuff takes time.

2. I then lowered her down to get the seat out. I was tempted to sit it in and make loud engine noises, but I didn't. I swear. Now that it's out, I can also wash the inside of the rear window-it's been a year or more!

3. Then it was on to the splitter. I almost decided to stop and drink beer and fire up a Cuban, as I just didn't feel like screwing with electrical. But, I forged on. This isn't for the mild or the meek. You open up the DME bundle, pick a green wire, hope it's the right one.....and snip! Actually, there were three green wires, but only one that was 14 ga- the others were smaller. I checked continuity with the - wire going to the coil. It's nice to get confirmation from the voltmeter that you cut the right one. Andial's wiring diagram also dictates that you snip the black + wire to the coil, and there are three black wires in that bundle, but they looked too small.

After some internal debate, I decided it wasn't there. I then looked at the bundle coming from the front under the seat rail, the + wire is through the ignition switch, so this made sense to me. I opened it up, and found a likely suspect. I used a probe to penetrate the insulation as I wasn't totally sure I was hunting in the right spot. Checked the continuity with my big jumper to the + coil lead, and saw I hit paydirt again. So, I made up the wiring for the cuts I made, and ran them to the splitter. I ony need to run two new coils leads back for coil #2, and a ground wire, and it's a wrap. But, that is for later this week, I finally caved in on the beer and cigar, after all it's Sunday.

4. I installed the coils on their new perches.

^#3 is so satisfying to read because it's good old fashioned deduction. Combine with fabrication and go-fast parts, and you have the makings of another post that hits the technical pleasure center in the brain. Nice work!
Old 05-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Thanks rusnak. This is a fun project, but I am an impatient person, or so my wife says, and it's tough having Ruby offline. As I said earlier today, I'd have been done a while ago, I believe, if I had a normal work life. I hope to have the ultimate satisfaction quite soon, when I get her on the road and start seating the new rings. As fun as this work is, I live for driving her in the mountains that I can see from my garage as I type this.

The last time I did engine work, which was over a longer period, I had a beautiful 928 to scratch my itch. The ol' Ridgeline just doesn't do it for me. I'm really thinking hard about a GT3, in fact the wife has said "do it", but then I'm afraid I'd have to postpone retirement, and one needs to balance things in their lives. I also am thinking that I have a really fun track/street car now, maybe I should stick with a pristine air-cooled Porsche, if I decide to add a second one again.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:04 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great, Ed!

(btw, I was just looking at a couple of pics of Ruby and my car side by side in the garage at Fontana last year...we had fun out there that day.)
Old 05-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Thanks Scott. It was fun that day at the track-I'm bummed I had to miss the recent event there. Hopefully I'll get some track time in a bit later this year.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:44 AM
May911-85
Advanced

Ed; my hat's off to you, great job!
Old 05-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
To hell with that I want to see track Vid ... i will pit it on my wide screen and grab my xbox wheel for effect..
Here is the "Before" video that I'm sure has served as motivation for the upgrades:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EihKqctYwU

Ruby is looking better every time I check in. Keep it up Ed. ....and yes, when the wind is just right I can hear the cars at California Speedway from my house.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:59 AM
Rick Sylvestri
Racer

Ed,

Missed you at the Fontana DE yesterday, oh well maybe next year. 5- 25 minute sessions with about 75-80 cars. Great day overall.
Got my targa back Friday, I'll have to stop by and see if you have any left over go fast parts for my 3.2
Let me know if you need a hand with the install in the next week or two.
Rick
Old 05-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted Rick...I probably wont know when until I decide to stab it in, but I'd bet it'll be in this weekend!
Old 05-10-2010, 01:19 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great video! At first I thought that was me following Ed, but it wasn't. I think Ed and I played tag later in the day.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 450knotOffice
Great video! At first I thought that was me following Ed, but it wasn't. I think Ed and I played tag later in the day.
But in your avatar your car looks red...

Quick Reply: Ruby's Rebuild Redux