Old 02-05-2010, 04:11 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
Default One for Floete

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1584103718.html

Oh yeah, its a euro, too...... WP0ZZZ91ZDS100522

No affiliation, YMMV, caveat emptor, etc.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:18 PM
floete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. Nice color too. Odd -- no mention of tensioner or pop-off valve or head studs. Bet I know what that means!

Thanks, though. If only I lived in TX, I'd make the drive just for the heck of it. Darn cheap!
Old 02-05-2010, 04:25 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Where do you live? Perhaps that will help us help you in your search....
Old 02-05-2010, 07:14 PM
murphyjp
Instructor

If I wanted a coupe I'd check it out myself. No affiliation.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb
Old 02-05-2010, 07:15 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

That looks like a decent car... I like the interior
Old 02-06-2010, 11:29 AM
floete
Instructor

Okay, I'm on my way to see an 87 w/ 108k miles on it, asking 13.9. here's the blurb:

1987 Porsche 911 Carrera. 3.2 liter with the G-50 five speed transmission. This car is white with black interior. All original . Runs excellent. Has all service stamps in book included as well are all original manuals, toolkit and air-pump.

Talked to the current owner ... a car dealer. Services records unavailable, though he is trying to get them. No rust. Clean headliner. The guy is a PCA member, owns 5 Ps himself, and says this one feels like it has a new clutch but he can't swear by it. White wheels to go w/ the white exterior. No cracks in the dash. Mechanically he swears it's excellent.

I asked about a PPI. He said, I don't want to be a jerk but the first one with the money gets it.

I figure I'll take the trip. If I like it, I'll try to get him to take a deposit with a PPI to come on Monday. If he won't do that, I'll have to walk. But since he listed it yesterday, he's had 30 calls, so it's not like he's going to have a shortage of buyers.

Heck, it could be sold by the time I get there, though he did say I was first in line.

So, we shall see.

btw/ I realize this is a lot more than my $10k figure. But, I've been listening to you guys and maybe in the long run this car would be a more cost effective purchase.

Right?
Old 02-06-2010, 12:25 PM
murphyjp
Instructor

Sounds Ok. Don't know why the guy wouldn't let you do a PPI. Doesn't seem like he's hurting for cash.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by murphyjp
Sounds Ok. Don't know why the guy wouldn't let you do a PPI. Doesn't seem like he's hurting for cash.
Sounds like, as a car dealer, he knows the routine. Give someone time to think about it, and they decide against the purchase. Gotta separate them from the cash when the emotions are running high.

Brett
Old 02-06-2010, 03:29 PM
murphyjp
Instructor

Hopefully most buyers will want a PPI, and the seller will soon see he will have to concede this point if he wants to sell.

Something seems amiss here. The mileage/price along with the mild salesman pressure tactics of letting you know there are 30 people interested, no PPI, $$ talks.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:25 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyjp
Hopefully most buyers will want a PPI, and the seller will soon see he will have to concede this point if he wants to sell.

Something seems amiss here. The mileage/price along with the mild salesman pressure tactics of letting you know there are 30 people interested, no PPI, $$ talks.
Well said.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:44 PM
floete
Instructor

No rust, he says to me on the phone.

So the *second* thing I see when I get there and he opens the passenger side door is a half-dollar size blob of rust on the sill. I lean down for a closer look.

"And that's the only rust on the entire car," he announces proudly.

Uh, okay.

Now, you may be wondering what the *first* thing I saw was, after my two hour ride, with a two hour return ride ahead of me.

What I saw was a Targa. Not a coupe. A Targa! All the ad says is what I posted above, along with the headline, 1987 Porsche 911 Carrera - $13900. So I say to him, "I thought it was a coupe."
"Nope, Targa."
"It doesn't say that on the Craiglist thing."
"Yes, it does. Right up top."
He's wrong, of course. And once I get him to see that, you know what he says then? What he doesn't say is, Oops, sorry! My bad! I feel terrible I got you all this way.
What he does say is, "Thanks for letting me know."
And that's it.
Hey, an honest mistake is one thing. It happens. I'm fine with that. But no apology for wasting about five hours of my time? Come on. That's just not right.
Anyway, after that, I just got in my car and left.
And all I've got to say now is, "No, thank you, New England Auto Sales LLC, of Plainville, Ct., no thank you at all."

Lesson learned? Just 'cause it doesn't say Targa that doesn't mean it isn't a Targa. Always ask, just to be on the safe side!
Old 02-06-2010, 05:03 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by floete
No rust, he says to me on the phone.

So the *second* thing I see when I get there and he opens the passenger side door is a half-dollar size blob of rust on the sill. I lean down for a closer look.

"And that's the only rust on the entire car," he announces proudly.

Uh, okay.

Now, you may be wondering what the *first* thing I saw was, after my two hour ride, with a two hour return ride ahead of me.

What I saw was a Targa. Not a coupe. A Targa! All the ad says is what I posted above, along with the headline, 1987 Porsche 911 Carrera - $13900. So I say to him, "I thought it was a coupe."
"Nope, Targa."
"It doesn't say that on the Craiglist thing."
"Yes, it does. Right up top."
He's wrong, of course. And once I get him to see that, you know what he says then? What he doesn't say is, Oops, sorry! My bad! I feel terrible I got you all this way.
What he does say is, "Thanks for letting me know."
And that's it.
Hey, an honest mistake is one thing. It happens. I'm fine with that. But no apology for wasting about five hours of my time? Come on. That's just not right.
Anyway, after that, I just got in my car and left.
And all I've got to say now is, "No, thank you, New England Auto Sales LLC, of Plainville, Ct., no thank you at all."

Lesson learned? Just 'cause it doesn't say Targa that doesn't mean it isn't a Targa. Always ask, just to be on the safe side!
I've made more than my share of those trips. What a dick.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:33 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Think of it this way... P-car ownership is a journey, not a destination. The search is only half the fun.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:43 PM
murphyjp
Instructor

Worse yet is he is telling buyers that he's a PCA member which automatically makes you feel he is trustworthy. Just when my faith in humanity was regaining traction........
Old 02-07-2010, 04:20 PM
murphyjp
Instructor

You can see if this one is still available.

http://www.g3.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000397.html

Quick Reply: One for Floete