Is $600 too much for an oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 05:18 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Slimwear
Whalebird: You make a good point, I should look more into doing the Boxster stuff myself. It hasn't needed anything but oil changes so I haven't really looked into much other then flipping through the Bentley manual and then it looks worse then it probably is.

My repair experience includes working on a 62 Ford Sunliner (Galaxie convertible), many jobs with my 1991 Honda VFR (incredible engineering, gear driven cams, etc.) and plugs, wires, dashboard, electrical bugs, etc with the Targa. The Targa is just so rewarding to work on that I'm at the point of looking for stuff to work on with it. I took the seats out at the winter storage and brought them back to the house to condition the leather last week for example.

Just a couple of weeks until better weather here in Atlanta.....

Emery
I would encourage you to at least look around it a bit. There is a service "position" to put the top in, then you can remove the engine cover, as well as removing the cover from behind the seats. I know the motor seems untouchable, but it opens up quite nice and is real easy to access. There are a few tricks to certain things: the interior has a few hidden fastners, but my attraction to a Boxster is the ease of repair and maintenance. Boxters are as pretty from the bottom as they are from the top.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm on my second Boxster and agree that once you get the service position for the top figured out, its a piece of cake to remove the storage box (if you have it), then pull of the engine cover. Everything is right there to work on.

That $600 service on the 997 we are all talking about could have included various filter changes and fluid top offs. Dealers are good at charging lots for those basic services.

As a new Boxster owner, I probably will go in to the dealer for my 12,000 mile oil changes just to have the minimal service history with Porsche in case there are motor issues later after the warranty has expired. There are enough cases of Porsche fixing major issues on cars out of warranty if the service has been at the dealership.

I'll change my own oil every 4k for $65, but will pony up the extra cash for the dealer to do it every 12k for $150 to have the service history.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:31 PM
alex973
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Royal Purple racing oil $15 QT, times 12 QT = $180.00, wrench / hr = $99 x 2hrs here we go,
$400 for oil change. oh add tip to your wrench
Old 02-10-2010, 04:15 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not at all certain that Royal Purple is any more appropriate than the factory spec'ed Mobile 1. Lots of guys plugging the Brad Penn and Royal Purple, but Mobile 1 and Valvoline full synthetic are as good as it gets for the street car.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:01 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting a 4-post lift for my garage. doing oil changes alone will pay for it in a few years.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:00 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A Boxster came into our parking lot today. I was so curious, I had to peek underneath. Yes they are good looking cars from the top side. From the bottom they are only OK.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:44 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

i am not so convinced on mobil one .. I don't think they even care about flat tappet engines or zddp . they just want to be the oil of choice with new manufacturers and I am sure they pay a whopping cheque to Porsche . They will be very low in ZDDP as they do not want to destroy cats and bite the hand that fees them ..

Quick Reply: Is $600 too much for an oil change?