Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is $600 too much for an oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 12:01 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Unhappy Is $600 too much for an oil change?

Okay, I know I am going to get into BIG troubble when someone on the 997 section finds out about this thread. Over at that end of the forum the topic comes up every few months...$600-800 too much for the 2 year check?
You have those who claim to make so much $ that their time is too valuable
to change the oil... to those who really want to save money or have a genuine interest in learning. Its just fun to see different perspective and attitudes between old car owners vs new car owners. I do admit that in the last year or two there have been a little more DIY and less "my time is sooo valuable"...must be the economy or something.
abe
Old 02-05-2010, 12:26 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just off the top of my head isn't it about $75 bucks for oil and a filter?
Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 AM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of those guys are also afraid that if they don't get the service from the dealer that they could void their warranty.

Is it really that much for an oil change for a 997 or is there something else included?
Old 02-05-2010, 01:55 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just go the 997 site and start reading the threads on the topic....better yet do a search on oil change on the 997 and have a good time.
abe
Old 02-05-2010, 07:52 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

My lips are sealed.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:13 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

over here, we may argue about oil, but not much about oil change costs. maybe because no one's gone to a dlr for service in a decade... or more. perhaps we can get into it over which drain plug to open first.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:36 AM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had to have my truck serviced by the dealer.

The 911 is on jack stands in my garage getting new koni sport adjustables, and the 928 at a friend's garage on a lift getting intake/fuel lines/coolant hoses refresh.

so I just didn't have the location or time to service the truck myself. daily driver for work this time of the year.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:51 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Aside from warranty issues.
Another reason that there is not as much DIY on the new 996 on cars is that there is very little support for those cars. I know the aftermarket is starting to fill in but still; try to find bearings to fit a turned crank or enough parts to rebuild the engine after the IMS lets go or transmission bits and pieces or new heads to replace the cracked ones.
Porsche treats these engines like any other module on the car. Blow a fuse plug in another one, blow the engine plug in another $16k engine. Many of the "new" car owners are first time Porsche owners, who suddenly realized they can afford a used 911 (look at the beating these cars resale value has taken), and consider that there isn't a large data base to get help from. Try to find a Bentley, Haynes or Clymer to get info on plucking the engine or trans out for a rebuild.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:59 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Porsche dealer service department is God's way of telling you that some people have more money than sense. I remember the dealer service dept. doing a lot of things like that in the 80s too. They used to pull entire motors and plug new ones in even back then.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm still pissed from four weeks ago. I took our leased '08 Audi A4 into the dealer for two warranty issues, and had the 15K mile service done at the same time. $372!!! For an f'n oil change. The "inspection" list included checking the CV joint boots. WOW, that's hard. Must take all of 12 seconds. And they checked the wiper blades. WOW! I did that on the way to the dealer - it was raining that morning. What a rip-off, like anything on the list will need attention at 15K miles. If it did, I'd tell them to keep the damn car.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Pete, along the same line sorta...

I had just rebuilt the entire front end of my Astro. I did everything. I did shocks, pitman arms, center link, top and bottom ball joints, tie rod ends, brake lines, calipers and bolts, rotors, pads, bearings, seals, and zerks.....

A half hour after taking it to Pep Boys for an alignment and new 60,000 tires the service manager had the ***** to call me (while I was in line at the DMV) and tell me my bearings were old and worn and it had cost me the rotors and pads as well.

Needles to say I was torqued. The guy passed the phone to the tech who had made the claim and I assured him I had been working on cars since before he was born. When I went over with him what I had just done to the van and that it was only a mile from my house to the shop I suddenly had the GM on the line assuring me I'd be getting a discount. **** me off......
Old 02-05-2010, 06:29 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Doug,
They have a Rolodex of items they try to pull..... I've experienced this at every dealer and chain shop I've visited.

The indy shops are the only ones who don't try to pull this crap.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:25 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

My oil change is costing me @ $15k.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

Well Pete . i think I change all my shocks for about the same as your oil change .. .. and Bilsteins no less ..

There is no question it is a rip off ... in fact one of the local guys took his 993 in for an oil change at the dealer when he first got it because he wanted some "porsche" documentation with his milage on it for soem reason .. sure enough he nearly collapsed when they handed him a bill for allmost 500.00.
has nothing to do with the car at all ..and everything to do with dealer price gouging. They of course use the warranty issue as extrorsion ... and it is an effective one with an engine with an obvious design weakness ( read failed IMS ). You don't need to give them an excuse not to pay to fix it .. they're already good at thinking them up on there own ....
Old 02-06-2010, 04:57 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

This is what the previous owner of my old Carrera paid. Look at the cost for oil.

Quick Reply: Is $600 too much for an oil change?