Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:04 PM
jtilden
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange Noise

I have my car on jack stands to adjust my parking brakes...I had previously installed a bump steer kit about a month ago...the noise that I hear is kind of like a clunk and can be heard when I turn my steering wheel from left to right ( front is on jack stands and the tires are off)...Is this clunk a result of installing the bump steer kit? TIA
Old 02-03-2010, 09:31 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

could be. Need more info, such as is the car pulling to one side under braking, etc. As long as the car is in the air, it's a good time to check the tightness of the bolts, including the tie rod ends and steering rack mounting bolts.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:57 PM
jtilden
Racer

i found the installation instructions and they state that a "slight clicking may occur when turning the steering wheel. This will disappear within a few miles". So I assume the noise i hear is normal....even though I have driven well over a "few" miles.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:16 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Do you have turbo or standard tie rods? Does it feel like the steering drags or resists?
Old 02-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I found the bump steer spacers to be all but useless. I really didn't see any improvement. It wasn't until I raised my spindles that the bump subsided.

Did you adjust the tie rods at all after installation or put new ones in? It seems to me if you raise the rack, without some kind or relief on the tie rods, you'll see some binding. I think when they say to drive it a few miles, that is to re-break in old ball joints to the new wear area from the new geometry.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:44 AM
jtilden
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I found the bump steer spacers to be all but useless. I really didn't see any improvement. It wasn't until I raised my spindles that the bump subsided.

Did you adjust the tie rods at all after installation or put new ones in? It seems to me if you raise the rack, without some kind or relief on the tie rods, you'll see some binding. I think when they say to drive it a few miles, that is to re-break in old ball joints to the new wear area from the new geometry.
I did not adjust the tie rods...it sounds like the noise is coming from the u-joint area...I will play with them tomorrow

Originally Posted by rusnak
Do you have turbo or standard tie rods? Does it feel like the steering drags or resists?
I have standard tie rods...the steering feels fine. I think it might be a u-joint issue
Old 02-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

The tie rods may be putting pressure on the rack. If you raise the rack, it stands to reason that the tie rod should be shortened a wee bit.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:14 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

change to turbo tie rods ... it is less than 200.00 for the kit ...
Old 02-04-2010, 02:21 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

OK, the reason I asked if you have u-joints is that they need to be aligned. It is possible to have the angle out of adjustment. That's one reason why turbo tie rods are popular. It's much easier to get them right.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:08 PM
jtilden
Racer

Originally Posted by rusnak
OK, the reason I asked if you have u-joints is that they need to be aligned. It is possible to have the angle out of adjustment. That's one reason why turbo tie rods are popular. It's much easier to get them right.
Thanks...the slippery slope...resistance is futile
Old 02-04-2010, 10:15 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Did it "clunk" before when up on stands and the wheels off?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:33 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you say bump-steer kit, what exactly are you refering to? Did you install the steering rack spacers, or the tie rod bushings. Like Ed says, the steering rack spacers are useless. The "bushings" at the tie-rod ends are much better. I would also look carefully at the steering shaft u-joints and steering rack slop.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:08 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I think before buying any new parts it might be worthwhile to put the car back on the ground, and check the tie rods to make sure that they are parallel to the ground and that the eye is perpendicular to the suspension travel. It's more complicated that that though because the rack has to be square to the body and the tie rods have to be equal length. This, and the fact that I was changing balljoints, strut cartridges, and other stuff made me want the turbo tie rods. The irony is that in my opinion the turbo tie rods did little to improve steering feel. I drive way below 9/10ths, and the old tie rods were in ok condition.

Quick Reply: Strange Noise