First foray into Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts
Default First foray into Porsche

New to the forum but been reading a while. As with most of you I have wanted a 911 my entire life. Now at 40 I have the room and finances to have a weekend car. I would like to spend between 15-25K but I am torn on which makes the most sense. For me the 993 is the Epitome of the model but friends that drive Porsches all tell me the same thing-get the newest one you can afford. That puts me into a 996. Don't love it. Nice to be sure and if the 993 didn't exist it would be a great car. I have always loved the SC and Carreras from the 80's with the spoiler as it's what I grew up admiring. So back to my question. If you were to choose one series of the car to drive maybe 5-8K miles a year that was dependable(I am very mechanically inclined and work on all of my cars and motorcylces) in that price range-20K- what would it be and why. Appreciate everyone's inputs as I am new and I will be pulling the trigger in the next 3 weeks just need some guidance.
Thanks
Caesar
Old 02-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There were just a couple of threads with lots of comments in the last couple of weeks. The typical answer would be 1978-1989 911 for a good mix of fun, reliability, and value. Peter Zimmerman's book, The Used 911 Story, is essential reading.

Brett
Old 02-03-2010, 01:53 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The most exciting part of purchasing a new Porsche is the chase. You get to meet so many fantastic people that are very passionate about their cars. I would actually look at either a 993 or 996 Carrera. There are plenty of cars right now with an abundance of options to include a full aero kit. I have owned both and found each series to be great. The cars are entirely different in looks, mechanics and feel, however they are terrific cars. A great service history for whichever model you choose is very important and of course a PPI. After that the real fun begins. Being a part of a car culture that is second to none.
Have a great time and enjoy the chase.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:58 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

....little green, welcome

the forum you are posting is owner's board for pre 89's & therefore you may likely get very positive support for your pick of the SC.

i personally prefer the 964 series, which really bridged porsche into a more modern car. they were still assembled by hand and bodies were "dipped", but the 964 is a much more modern/advanced car. far better transmission, more powerful engine, and power assisted steering. they do maintain more of the traditional porsche style and to me have more of a kart like drive then the 993.

sc's, 964 series and 993 series are all user friendly for "do it yourselfers".

for your budget you may not get a good example of the 993 series, and or you will end up with one that does require $ to be spent near term.

your budget is better suited therefore to the earlier 2 series, where you can focus on a car that has been well maintained-a car that has been shown care & attention.

all are fine cars, fun to drive and when properly sorted/maintained - dependable.

it would seem to me you would be best to focus on this forum & 964 forum....and consider your hunt between those 2 series.

make sure as you narrow down your choice to have a thorough independent p.p.i done.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:40 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"buy the newest one you can afford" is the stupidest advice I've ever heard, yet people keep passing it around all because Bruce Anderson keeps saying it. Problem is, it doesn't even account for your preference of model year. Example: if I could afford a '73 S or a '78 SC, following Bruce's advice would have me picking the '78 SC, which is ridiculous.

My advice is, buy the BEST car you can find of the type that you like the most. In your price range, that appears to be the 3.2L Carrera, the very best of the classic 911 era.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:52 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I like the 964 as well, but I think all aircooled cars are particular in their own way and you would be well served to drive as many as possible regardless of price and vintage. See what jumps out at you. The 996 watercooled cars are a big leap and distinctivly different. You won't find a lot of love for them in this forum. It took me a while to cozy up to them and I would easily consider a Boxster S in the same vein. Aircooled cars are a completely different ownership experiance and probably the car you grew up wanting.
Welcome.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:11 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't say where you're from. If you must have acceptable air conditioning, then you want at least a 964 if not a 993.

If you don't need/care about air and you've always loved SC/Carreras...then perhaps the decision is already made :-)

But drive a few examples. And if a soft top appeals to you, then definitely include Boxsters in your mix.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Definately not in the boxster camp though I know they are great cars but will stick to a 911
I am from Phlly and have a 4 door wrangler that I run with no tops or doors most of the summer so
and I have always wanted a coupe. A/C is not critical. Thanks for all the advice so far. I do appreciate it.
I am sure I will be on here a bit as the time comes closer for specific advise and pointers as well as pics.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:17 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Straight up,..get a 89 Carrera......

(I'm biased)....

Doyle
Old 02-03-2010, 08:26 PM
bart1
Race Car

In your price range, I would try to drive a 964 and 3.2 and see which ticks the most boxes for you and then find the best example you can comfortably affrord. I love my 993, but have spent time in 3.2s and 964s and am sure I would be equally happy with anything from SC to 993 in equally good condition. Unless you just run across a great deal though, I think a good 993 would be closer to 30k.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:28 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Buy the car that speaks to your heart, otherwise it's just a car.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:08 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the others who said that your best bet is probably a 3.2 Carrera. Even in this market, I don't think you're going to find a decent 993 in your price range, but you should be able to find a very nice 3.2. As others have pointed out, the two cars are very different. The 3.2 is much more raw and visceral, the 993 more refined, yet more powerful. Since AC isn't a priority for you, the 3.2 should work well and should prove loads of fun for a weekend toy. I drive my 3.2 daily and it brings a smile to my face every time I fire it up.

Best of luck with your search.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

As as been alluded to, you need to drive different years and see which one you like best. Then go for the best one you can afford-this is where Bruce A and I agree. I think you're taking it too literally-he's not saying a 996 is better than a 993 which is better than a 911. Everyone has an opinion, including me, so now you know where this is going :

Originally Posted by theporscheguy
I would actually look at either a 993 or 996 Carrera.
Oh, sure, an early 996 is a sure bet over anything earlier. Some may say the OBDII 993's are a pain in the rear. Simply recommending a 993 or 996 is a very broad and assuming statement, and really has no merit.

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster

i personally prefer the 964 series, which really bridged porsche into a more modern car. they were still assembled by hand and bodies were "dipped", but the 964 is a much more modern/advanced car. far better transmission, more powerful engine, and power assisted steering. they do maintain more of the traditional porsche style and to me have more of a kart like drive then the 993.
Well, there are some that think the power assisted steering is just one of the big strikes against the 964 on up. Then, I can state that an '84 has "more of a kart like drive than the 964". Or, a '73 has "more of a kart like drive than the '84".

The above statements are indicitive of why the OP needs to determine what it is they want. Then from there, hone in on the right car.

I'm not trying to disparage the 964, 993 or 996- they all could have a place in one's garage and serve their owner well. But, other than the fact they all are rear-engined flat sixes, they are different cars in many ways.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:48 AM
ipanzer64
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irobertson
Buy the car that speaks to your heart, otherwise it's just a car.

Personally...I think thats the best advice a car, in a way, finds you
Old 02-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rgrimm
You don't say where you're from. If you must have acceptable air conditioning, then you want at least a 964 if not a 993.

And if a soft top appeals to you, then definitely include Boxsters in your mix.
For a weekend car, a targa or a convertible is hard to beat. A 3.2 Carrera in great shape is a great car that nobody can knock, even the snobs.

If you aren't into it for the status, a Boxster S is a nice car for the dollar.

Quick Reply: First foray into Porsche