Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

First foray into Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:58 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a feeling that what you really want is a 993... They're awesome.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:24 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you (hopefully) already know: that PPI will be your best friend, irrespective of your choice....to ignore that could be devastating on any selection you make.

Good luck,

Doyle
Old 02-07-2010, 10:16 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+10000 Dshepp. Even the best car for you can be a bad car. Do the homework, drive everything you can, and don't get in a hurry. Keep us posted and ask lots of questions.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:42 AM
redcarman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Green
New to the forum but been reading a while. As with most of you I have wanted a 911 my entire life. Now at 40 I have the room and finances to have a weekend car. I would like to spend between 15-25K but I am torn on which makes the most sense. For me the 993 is the Epitome of the model but friends that drive Porsches all tell me the same thing-get the newest one you can afford. That puts me into a 996. Don't love it. Nice to be sure and if the 993 didn't exist it would be a great car. I have always loved the SC and Carreras from the 80's with the spoiler as it's what I grew up admiring. So back to my question. If you were to choose one series of the car to drive maybe 5-8K miles a year that was dependable(I am very mechanically inclined and work on all of my cars and motorcylces) in that price range-20K- what would it be and why. Appreciate everyone's inputs as I am new and I will be pulling the trigger in the next 3 weeks just need some guidance.
Thanks
Caesar
I was in your exact situaton 2 years ago when I turned 40 and decided to fulfill my life long goal of buying a 911. I called my cousin who has been a mechanic for 40 years including 10 years at a Porsche dealership. He owns an 82 SC and his recommendation to me was to look at either 87-88 G50 3.2 Carreras or a 993s. Based on my budget and the fact that the 80's cars were the ones that I lusted after when I was in teenager, I decided to look for the 87-88 Carrera. After a brief search I lucked out and found a beautiful original 1988 which I have been enjoying for the last two years. My advice is to do alot of reasearch on the various cars that fit within your budget, talk to alot of knowledgable porsche owners and mechanics, drive as many cars as you can, buy one and enjoy it.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:40 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

like this perhaps (no affiliation), newly listed here today
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...593252192.html
Old 02-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster
like this perhaps (no affiliation), newly listed here today
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...593252192.html
Well, I'd say we've now seen this car posted here enough for one day. Oh, that guy is dreaming-a wide body with no blower ain't that rare or valuable.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:41 AM
kurt0811
Rennlist Member

I'll just echo a lot of the previous posts. Like you, I had reached a point in my life where I could make my dream of owning a 911 a reality. I focused on the '87-89, because they were the cars of my youth, and I liked the "rawness" and workability of them compared to later years. I looked for about 2 years, came close to pulling the trigger on a few cars spread all over the country, from CT to AZ, and most places in between. I know some have said you can make a purchase without a PPI and do okay... I'm in the camp of hedging my bet when buying a 20 year old car, and some sellers are not as upstanding as the members here and may try to pass off a questionable car. I will say the piece of advice that I got here that really rang true was " the car will find you", and it did. I was fortunate enough to be contacted by a member (g-50cab)here about his car, and although I pooh-poohed it at the time, it is now shining in my garage. I had it delivered last week, and in a rare February for PA, we have been slammed by huge snow storms, and the car has gone NOWHERE! I can only look longingly at the calendar and hope for spring.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kurt0811
I was fortunate enough to be contacted by a member (g-50cab)here about his car, and although I pooh-poohed it at the time, it is now shining in my garage. I had it delivered last week, and in a rare February for PA, we have been slammed by huge snow storms, and the car has gone NOWHERE! I can only look longingly at the calendar and hope for spring.

Ahhh, so now I know where Jeremy's car went. Enjoy it, that is a CHOICE cabriolet. Capable of turning heads on the street or the track.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:13 AM
kurt0811
Rennlist Member

Yes, I am the privileged new owner of Jeremy's car. I feel both a sense of honor and responsibility, and can only hope to continue the amazing care to the car that Jeremy has started. But again, unfortunately, the only fun I've had is sitting in the car in the garage in revving the engine and dreaming of twisty country roads I can't believe how much snow we've had here in eastern PA this year. The car is really amazing and the pictures do not do it justice. I'm sure I will continue to turn to all of you for continuing help with any projects that arise.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Kurt,
Like you I live in eastern PA(Delaware county) and the snow has been ridiculous. Still looking for the car and will follow the advice of "it will find you". Thankfully I have my Jeep wrangler so snow is not an issue.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:48 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I know you said you want to spend $25k, but there is (what looks like) a gorgeous 993 for sale for $30 which someone posted on the 993 board.

He're the ad: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/1590953081.html

No affiliation...Good luck with your search
Old 02-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

It's also a 993, which he may not want.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

In first post he said he views 993 as the epitome, so I'm thinking he might at the right price.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:11 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

He also strayed into 996's.

But his heart is telling him pre-89, which is what drove him here to the 911 board. Hence my statement.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kurt0811
But again, unfortunately, the only fun I've had is sitting in the car in the garage in revving the engine and dreaming of twisty country roads .
Do NOT run your car without putting it in gear and driving it to full temperature. Do not warm up the engine without putting it in gear and driving it. Plenty of posts on this, Steve W and Pete Z both say not to do this.

Parts of the engine will get hot while other parts stay cold. Rich mixture will dilute the oil and it will not boil off as the oil will never get hot enough. Pete also mentions in his book that he thinks it could be a contributing cause of head stud failure. If you don't have Pete's book, I highly reccomend it. The Used 911 Story, Peter Zimmerman.

Congratulations on your new car. I'd be out sitting in it too.

Quick Reply: First foray into Porsche