Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New forum member. New to Porsche...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 01:06 AM
NA&CH
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New forum member. New to Porsche...

Hey everyone,

Looking at purchasing a 1985 911 Carrera cab. Little catch is that it has a steel Slantnose widebody kit. The owner(elderly man) went for the complete turbo slantnose conversion. Car has 65k miles pretty sure babied. The car is a 5spd. Not sure which engine. (3.2?) Interior is clean. I am going to run by the shop where it is at and pick the shop owner's brain about the car.

What I would like to know(if possible) is what might a car like this be worth? Also anything I should look for? Conversion wise and Car wise? I am going go for a test drive tomorrow.

Also how much work/hard would it be to complete the Turbo part of the conversion?

Thank you everyone,

Chris

Some pictures:

Old 01-27-2010, 01:38 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

The headlights need adjustment as do the fog lights. There's overspray on the left fog. It is a nice car, though. For a proper turbo conversion, you'll need the rear suspension that'll push out the rims so it doesn't look overwhelmed by the rear flares. You'll also need turbo tie rods. Then there's the task of sourcing a turbo engine and the 4 spd trans and turbo brakes. A rough estimate puts all that at $15k-$20k. I'd run the car as is because the 3.2 is a great motor! Just get rear spacers and take the turbo emblem off the back.

As is, I'd day the car is worth between $17k-$20k.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:42 AM
NA&CH
7th Gear

Thank you very much. I was reading up on the 3.2 last night and some different additions available for it.

Anything to keep my eye out for on the car?

Chris
Old 01-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Make sure you get a Pre Purchase inspection!
I suspect that car has some "history"
Old 01-27-2010, 10:05 AM
NA&CH
7th Gear

Ofcourse on the PPI. There are a few Imported base shops around here. I am going to see if I can speak with the owner of the car and ask if he has any type of records.

Just looked up the owner and we were neighbors when I was growing up.

Chris
Old 01-27-2010, 12:26 PM
bxtech
Instructor

Looks nice! I would check the records and see what kind of work was done to it in the past. The 3.2 litre is a good engine, but the early Carreras had premature valve guide wear problems. I would see if the update was completed. Otherwise, you might plan on doing it sometime in the future. It's a pretty major job, so it's worth "factoring" in!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:32 PM
bxtech
Instructor

FYI, those are the incorrect mirrors on that car. Looks like they are painted mirrors from a 1974. It should have the original "flag" style electric mirrors. Hmm.........I wonder why someone would change those?? Might be a clue to take a closer look at the body? Maybe the doors were replaced in the past for some reason?? Major damage or previously reconstructed perhaps?? Just make sure you take a closer look!

Good luck! Please let us know if you end up purchasing it.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:50 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Certainly worth a good luck. A major point will be just how good the coversion work was done. Other than the pop-up light adjustment, it looks like it was done nicely in the pics.

A good PPI will let you know the motor's health.

FWIW, the valve guides seem to be hit and miss on the Carreras, but '87s are the year that seem particulaly variable. The 84 to 86 were sometimes not that bad.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:02 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are those dual exhaust tips on a pair of single out exhaust pipes? It looks weird imo. I'd expect the resale possibility to be smaller for this 911 than a garden variety, plain jane 911.

I don't think I'd add any extra value to the car for the slant and widebody kit. Some things just don't look right, including the rear wheels not spaced properly. Are the front and rear wheels the same width? Check out how the lower air dam protrudes while the bumper appears slightly recessed.

I'd stop short of calling this a franken-porsche, but it lacks some of the small details, and there will always be those who will point out that it is not a turbo. Price for adding the turbo would be prohibitive. And then there is the question of whether the flares are steel or fiberglass.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:02 PM
NA&CH
7th Gear

Thank you very much for all the informative post. I will be checking with the Mechanic this afternoon.

The rear flares are steel. I am going to doulbe check.

If the price were lets say 10k-12k would this be a good/ok buy?

Chris
Old 01-27-2010, 04:39 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO not use the owners mechanic to do your PPI.........

Best,

Doyle
Old 01-28-2010, 03:16 PM
NA&CH
7th Gear

Originally Posted by dshepp806
DO not use the owners mechanic to do your PPI.........

Best,

Doyle
OO Ofcourse not. You'll get the same old everything is PPPuuurrrfffeeecccttttt...

What do you guys think of the price? 10k-12k?

Chris
Old 01-28-2010, 05:13 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Way to much. These cars are worthless in my opinion. For it to be a good carrera would require conversion BACK to factory equipment. These conversions were lousy at best - often done to wrecked cars in the first place. The headlight drives typically are not Porsche, most I've seen were Toyota Supra parts. Your looking at a headache that you will never recoupe anything out of. Spend your time and money sourcing a clean original car. The headlight "tunnels" are one of the most endearing things about driving a 911. Only in the case of a REAL slopenose, or a 993 coupe would I consider driving an aircooled Porsche without the fenders. They inspire confidence in spirited driving and provide a referance to the direction the car is pointing. You really need to find a car that is wholesome and original. 911s are not "Mr. Potato heads" you can change the face of without compramising the integrity of the car and your investment. Of course this my opinion and would encourage you to keep asking questions. You came to the right place here at Rennlist and have a warm welcome by me.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:22 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whalebird
Way to much. These cars are worthless in my opinion. For it to be a good carrera would require conversion BACK to factory equipment. These conversions were lousy at best - often done to wrecked cars in the first place. The headlight drives typically are not Porsche, most I've seen were Toyota Supra parts. Your looking at a headache that you will never recoupe anything out of. Spend your time and money sourcing a clean original car. The headlight "tunnels" are one of the most endearing things about driving a 911. Only in the case of a REAL slopenose, or a 993 coupe would I consider driving an aircooled Porsche without the fenders. They inspire confidence in spirited driving and provide a referance to the direction the car is pointing. You really need to find a car that is wholesome and original. 911s are not "Mr. Potato heads" you can change the face of without compramising the integrity of the car and your investment. Of course this my opinion and would encourage you to keep asking questions. You came to the right place here at Rennlist and have a warm welcome by me.
+++++++1.

The Bird knows.............
Old 01-29-2010, 12:11 AM
billyfeet
Intermediate

I need to know how much the 2CV next to it is. Now THAT is a screaming aircooled machine! My wife would let me do anything if I just got the deux CV for her. I'd give the slantnose a wide berth though.

Quick Reply: New forum member. New to Porsche...