Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Classic 911 Targa, Is it worth the money and trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 12:17 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stephen, looks like you have it pretty well covered - one from column a, one from column b, one from column c, ...

I am down to 3 myself, trying to get to 2, so I can decide whether to start restoring one ('59), or upgrading the other ('87), or embark upon a competition project (?). As a way to spend time & money, one could do far worse.
cheers!
Old 12-14-2001, 01:09 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Kevin,
Oh yes, I love all of them I have sampled all excpet the 356. When I wanted to buy one they just were still to much. The 931 is the next project. I am in the process of doing a 937 replica and push her to 300HP I never can leave well enough alone. The C4 is my driver and I lover her!! I recently sold a 91 928S4 with all the goodies for the C4. The 930, well, umm, I just wanted to see if it possiable to spend as much in a car as the average home in the US. I know you can store buy them, but the goal was part by part...LMAO. the answer is yes.
Best,
Stephen
Old 12-14-2001, 02:26 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by PorschePhD:
<STRONG>I have sampled all excpet the 356.
</STRONG>I drove a 356 once, it was a kick in the pants, in a different way than a 911 is.
<STRONG>The 930, well, umm, I just wanted to see if it possiable to spend as much in a car as the average home in the US.
</STRONG>What would be scary is if you used the median home price in Silly Valley or SF!
<STRONG>I know you can store buy them
</STRONG>I keep coming back to that myself. For the over $50k I have into my '77, I could have bought a much newer car. But would it have really been equivalent? I would have had a car with about the same power ('cept maybe if I'd bought a turbo) but would have been heavier, with more creature comfort crap that breaks and annoys you. The only thing I think I'd want would be A/C, but it's such a hokey setup on the early cars that I didn't feel it was worthwhile to fix. So now I have a car that's just about exactly what I want. There's no way in hell that I'd be able to walk into a dealer and order something like this for what I paid for it.
Plus, I didn't take a $20k depreciation hit the second I backed out of the driveway.
Old 12-14-2001, 03:04 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

For all you Porsche (esp 911) enthusiasts, if you haven't driven a 356, I HIGHLY recommend that you find some way to do so. They are such a blast, pure fun even at legal speeds. And you will appreciate certain elements of the 911 character even more, once you experience where it came from. While some dismiss the early, plain "A" as a warmed-over VW, I must take a little exception. While some driving dynamics reveal a shared bloodline, the overall 356 concept is pure sports-GT. Perhaps the traits that are most shared are, a) it promotes more skilled technique & once you are comfortable near the limits, it is a unique driving experience (difference is, you can have all this fun at far lower road speed than w/ a 911), and b) it exudes that "safe, solid & ready-for-anything cockpit" feel.

Geez, I'm talking myself into the restoration project!
Old 12-14-2001, 07:10 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with you guys....The 356 DOES NOT drive like you think it would. They are extremly stable...It's very shocking. The first time I drove one I was expecting a bug!! Man was I wrong. The car I drove was a 1600S. What a blast. At the time I was in college and they were still too much money. I got out of school and snatched up a 67S and never looked back. I probably will own one in time. However most for fair money need work, and after doing the 930 4 times I am looking for a smaller project. The 937 fits the bill. I still won't go buy a new 986 or 996...JMO,,
Stephen
Old 12-15-2001, 02:40 AM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, the 356's are unique. My father-in-law has a silver 64 C coupe that he brought home from Germany after his honeymoon. About 98K miles now. It underwent a repaint and some modest mechanical resto about 8 years ago and became a certified garage queen, only escaping every 4-6 weeks. Interior (black leather), trunk and engine are 100% unmolested and concours.

I am hoping and praying that someday that car will be mine

In the mean time, I have become a two-headed boiled frog, being overcome by insanity to the degree where I basically restored two old cars at the same time.

The original intent was to drive the 914 while the 911 was under resto, which took it off the road for about 18 months, and then sell it. Well, somebody turned up the heat under the boiling kettle, and the 914 kinda got restored and track-prepped too along the way.

Ribbit!

I have not really added up how much I have spent on p-car stuff in the last few years, but I'm sure it is a rather horrifying sum. Undoubtedly enough to buy a nice 993 or a Boxster "S".

Now I have "learned my lesson" to some degree, and the next car will be a 914/6 race car where somebody else has been the frog already, at least taking it a lot of the way towards 'completion' (if there really is such a thing with these blessed cars).
Old 12-16-2001, 10:40 AM
Lugnutty
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Talking

I'm so glad that this thread came up. You guys have all just strengthened my resolve.

A month ago, I picked up a decent-looking '72T/RS lookalike. It's a decent 8-footer, but up close the viewer will notice the Maaco-quality paint job, the suspension sag to the driver's side, the US sealed beam DIM dim d i m headlights.

But it's a 911. This has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. My favorite, favorite 911 look is the white Carrera RS with red Carrera graphics on the sides, the red PORSCHE decals on the back, and the red-centered Fuchs.

Of course the Porscheholic in me wants to put everything right and more or less restore the car. I am planning on making this a track/street/autox car. It had a roll cage in it when I bought it, so I ripped out the interior and bought an RS lightweight interior: carpet set, door panels with pull straps.

Of course, installing a carpet set means that you have to move the weatherstripping around the front of each door and it just deteriorated. Ok, no problem. On a 30 year old car, weatherstripping becomes a maintenance item.

I decide that if I'm going to buy a set of stripping anyway, I may as well do the whole car. I pulled the rest of it and found 3 or 4 other paint colors in the seams. I wonder how many colors this car has been. So far I see the current poorly-executed white, some sort of gold, a very 1983 Barbie-car metallic purple, and what looks like Zenith blue spray paint.

I've found a little rust on the surface here and there and now I'm thinking about restoring the car.

So far my list hasn't stopped growing, and I'm just seeing these dollar signs floating around whenever I work on or go look at the car. But when I get out to the garage and I see the car sitting there, innocent and confident looking with its early performance look, even if I never get the money back out of this car, I know that this car is worth the time and money I'll put into it.

And THAT is just the 911!
-Jon
'94 968
'87 928S4
'84 928S
'72 911T
Old 01-10-2020, 12:08 AM
Superdave312
Track Day

Originally Posted by snakepitt1
I have a question for all of you. I have a 1973 911T Targa. I have just had the engine completely rebuilt, the transmission completely rebuilt the entire fuel system replaced from the tank to the ejectors, the interior seats replaced, electricals completely repaired, new Dino steering wheel, installation of a front deco strip and finally upgrading the door panals to newer style types. I have spent over $7000 in the past 3 months, not counting the car itself. My question is this; WHY? What is it about a Porsche that makes a guy do this? If I were to sell this car I could never get my money back, so why? It's not like I want to stop either. I have owned over 35 cars and trucks in my life, but this is somehow different. So, again I ask, WHY?
Just think how much it would cost for this work today and how much this long hood would be worth.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:45 AM
josephvman
Racer

Received 250 Likes on 129 Posts

I’m impressed that you had all that work done for $7k!

Originally Posted by snakepitt1
I have a question for all of you. I have a 1973 911T Targa. I have just had the engine completely rebuilt, the transmission completely rebuilt the entire fuel system replaced from the tank to the ejectors, the interior seats replaced, electricals completely repaired, new Dino steering wheel, installation of a front deco strip and finally upgrading the door panals to newer style types. I have spent over $7000 in the past 3 months, not counting the car itself. My question is this; WHY? What is it about a Porsche that makes a guy do this? If I were to sell this car I could never get my money back, so why? It's not like I want to stop either. I have owned over 35 cars and trucks in my life, but this is somehow different. So, again I ask, WHY?
Old 01-10-2020, 12:07 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Timely responses! Thread from 2001!

Old 01-10-2020, 02:17 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Honkity Hank
LOL! Interesting that in 2001 the OP was already referring to his '73 as "classic".
Old 01-10-2020, 03:24 PM
AG81
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
LOL! Interesting that in 2001 the OP was already referring to his '73 as "classic".
True......i'm pretty much thinking that anything over 25 is classic......If it's ok with the State then who am I to argue.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:56 PM
josephvman
Racer

Received 250 Likes on 129 Posts

Well it certainly explains getting all of that work done for $7k! I'm thinking double that price in 2020.

Originally Posted by Honkity Hank
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (04-23-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 09:18 PM
AG81
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Yes prices 20 years ago...seems strange to even say that...... Wish I had jumped on a 930 then.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:31 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 154 Posts

Snakepitt1 got over his obsession. He sold the car in 2006 and hasn't been back.

Mark
The following 2 users liked this post by Mark Salvetti:
Freddie Two Bs (01-11-2020), Ralph3. (01-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Classic 911 Targa, Is it worth the money and trouble?