Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Classic 911 Targa, Is it worth the money and trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 11:30 PM
snakepitt1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Classic 911 Targa, Is it worth the money and trouble?

I have a question for all of you. I have a 1973 911T Targa. I have just had the engine completely rebuilt, the transmission completely rebuilt the entire fuel system replaced from the tank to the ejectors, the interior seats replaced, electricals completely repaired, new Dino steering wheel, installation of a front deco strip and finally upgrading the door panals to newer style types. I have spent over $7000 in the past 3 months, not counting the car itself. My question is this; WHY? What is it about a Porsche that makes a guy do this? If I were to sell this car I could never get my money back, so why? It's not like I want to stop either. I have owned over 35 cars and trucks in my life, but this is somehow different. So, again I ask, WHY?
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (01-10-2020)
Old 12-13-2001, 12:31 AM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you find an answer be sure to tell me! I think I need to take a break from this board for a little while. I am suffering from too much Porsche on the brain!

Chris
Old 12-13-2001, 01:13 AM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$7000! A piker, I say!

Here's what I've spent on my '77 911 this year - and I've omitted stuff I did to the 2.7L engine, like new injectors ($130) and the new alternator ($200) and forgot tons of little stuff.

Go to my 911 cost page don't try drinking milk at the same time you read this - it will come out of your nose...

Yes, I could have bought a turbo or a C2 for what I have into this car, but I would have wanted to a lot of the same stuff to the turbo, so, like suspension upgrades.

Basically I'm a victim of 'boiled frog syndrome'
Old 12-13-2001, 02:39 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

one thing is for sure, a 911 is more than a conveyance. for some of us it resonates on levels that are terribly appealing (even transcendent) but not easily amenable to logic - yet it is imbued with rational design, execution & evolution. I think that is what gets to alot of owners who approach the 911 as a purely rational engineering device, but who get wrapped up in its aesthetic. for some it is the feel behind the wheel, for some it is the effective-tool-for-combat, for some it is the active participation in service & repair (& modification!), for some it is the knowledge that the effort applied is worth the time & money invested. for most enthusiasts it is the combination of all. drive your bliss.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:52 PM
Goat
Track Day

Help me out: what is "boiled frog syndrome?" This is a term I must find a use for!
Old 12-13-2001, 02:08 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

If you put a frog in a pot of water, and turn the heat up in 1/2 degree increments over a long time, he won't know he's being boiled until it's too late.

It's a term used to describe doing something to someone - or yourself - so slowly and incrementally that it's not noticed.

Much more descriptive that the old-fashioned 'nicked and dimed to death'

Originally posted by Goat:
<STRONG>Help me out: what is "boiled frog syndrome?" This is a term I must find a use for!</STRONG>
Old 12-13-2001, 02:24 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Talking

You are not alone on this one. About 10 years ago I bought a 1974 911 coupe, no sunfoof (The best thuing about the car). I put in:
Remove rust, strip to bare metal and repaint, at least $6,000,
SSI exhaust, $1,000 +,
New chromed 16" Fuchs,
Terbatrol Oil cooler,
New late model dash,
Some some interior work.

After all this, 6 months later, a rust bubble appreared in the center of the door. I said that's it, and traded the car in for a 1980 Weissach coupe. Of course I put another $10,000 in that car making it into a Time Trial car, sold it.

Bought a 1997 993 Coupe, dropped about $6,000 into the car...when will it ever end? Who cares, it is great fun.
Old 12-13-2001, 02:37 PM
Carlos
Banned

Here's a use for it. This thread is like the boiled frog class reunion. I can't believe that anyone has the nerve to criticize what George has done after reading this stuff. George's 911 started with a story like this. But he realized that the light at the end of the tunnel was an oncoming train. Now his car looks great, is reliable and FLIES. The only thing it's missing is purist approval.

This is like smoking crack. The first rock is only $10 but eventually it costs everything you own. Just like the 911 it feels good too. The problem is that after a while the knowledge that you are pouring your money down a hole overshadows the "feeling good." Wake up guys!
Old 12-13-2001, 03:33 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

I guess we're the ones keeping the economy afloat! Maybe a new trailing economic indicator would be the balance sheets of OG Racing, EBS, The Racer's Group, Pelican Parts, Paragon, etc etc
Old 12-13-2001, 03:34 PM
Reg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The money I will be throwing into my car is much different than the money thown away by driving a brand new car off the lot and selling it in 5 years!

Looking at it that way makes it easier to stomach eh?
The following users liked this post:
RFP (01-11-2020)
Old 12-13-2001, 03:49 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Good point; there was a discussion of used car values on the 911 email list, and someone mentioned that 996s were losing something like $15k-$25k in the first 2 years or so.

Originally posted by Reg:
<STRONG>The money I will be throwing into my car is much different than the money thown away by driving a brand new car off the lot and selling it in 5 years!

Looking at it that way makes it easier to stomach eh?</STRONG>
Old 12-13-2001, 03:52 PM
pbs911
Instructor

I have owned by 78SC Targa for three years. Since then I invested about $8K on paint, suspension upgrades, rebuilding work parts and interior. Reasonable, I think so. But now I find myself the frog in the pot. I have a great deal on 993TT brake set up. But I need new 17" wheels. Fikse looks good, $$$. And that 3.6 conversation is absolutely essential. Perhaps a SC for that extra 60 hp too. After all why the brakes to stop a 200 mph machine if I can't use them. Replacing the F/R bumbers with some fiberglass or carbon fiber parts would also drop weight and smooth out the body. So I say to myself, do I need bigger brakes, taller wheels and a faster motor? Do I need to spend $$$ on a car that is already a masterpiece of techonolgy in it's stock condition? Do I need to have a machine capable of 200 mph? I too have had many, many cars. But there is something about this one. Perhaps a child-hood dream. I remember a guy driving an old 911 and always standing around as he worked on it. Now it's mine. Not a day goes by that I open the garage, drive to work and have a grin on my face simply from driving. Reviewing the same cateloge night after night thinking how "that piece" will improve my car. Spending countless hours on the web searching for P-cars, BBS's and subscriptions to P-car mags. All I can say as a frog is that the water in the pot is getting warm and it feels good.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:20 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't know much about crack... However, some people like wine, some people like beer (& even brew their own), some people like distilled spirits (& some, the rotgut version).

My own distant observation of George's Hot Rod is that it was once a fine wine, but has subsequently been fortified w/ 200 proof grain alcohol. If "getting off like a bandit" is one's overriding goal, I suppose the hybrid hot rod approach is very effective, & I respect the creativity & craftsmanship (& $s!) that it takes to get there.

But it isn't a simple "purist or hot rodder" choice, there is a continuum that everyone works through for themselves, and each to their own values. Porsches are really great objects through which to work this out.

For me, I like vintage wine, micro-brewed beer, and premium distilled spirits (unvarnished).
Old 12-13-2001, 04:23 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Look, it's something that get under your skin. The smell, the feeling of the seat, maybe the dash, or it's simply that second glance over your shoulder as you leave her at the curb. If she touches your heart then who cares. I have changed colors, supercharged, NOS, Turbos, flares, carpet, windshields, antenna removed, body kits, name it. Almost 20 Porsches to date. Most of them at the end of the day were far from stock. When it was time to sell it could always be sold. Not necessarily to the "purist" but someone else will like what you have done. Bottom line it is for you and only you. Enjoy it and realize when you go to far you simply need to contact Jay Leno to buy it
Stephen
79 930TT Very VERY far from stock
89 911C4 mostly stock
81 931 Stock for now...
Old 12-13-2001, 10:58 PM
snakepitt1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, I see that I'm not alone when it comes to being truely unable to describe what it is about these cars that moves us. The speed? Sure! The handling? No doubt! The looks we get from others? Intoxicating! But, for me, it's the smile that never seems to go away when I'm driving MY PORSCHE. Even when she tends to eat my cash. Just yesterday my classic girl needed 6 new injectors. I didn't think twice. Give her what she needs I told my shop. They too smiled, but for other reasons.

Scott
1973 911T Targa 2.4L MFI

Quick Reply: Classic 911 Targa, Is it worth the money and trouble?