Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Paging Mr. Zimmerman

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:45 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The note book is a must have to really keep track of stuff. My only suggestion would be to add tire temps with a garden variety pyrometer alongside pressures to really clarify what the tires/chassis are doing.
Welcome Marc. Your advice and experiance is needed here at Rennlist, I look forward to your input.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
The note book is a must have to really keep track of stuff. My only suggestion would be to add tire temps with a garden variety pyrometer alongside pressures to really clarify what the tires/chassis are doing.
Welcome Marc. Your advice and experiance is needed here at Rennlist, I look forward to your input.
So true, at some point in every session I would come into the hot pit and measure across each tire contact patch with a pyrometer (three places). The confidence in knowing that nothing in the suspension was coming apart was all important for me (20-30 degrees hotter on the inside than the outside told me that camber was good, and an in between reading in the middle told me pressure was good). The log let's you develop your car over time, as well as provide instant info regarding both set-up and safety (bearings, ball joints, tie-rods, bushings, shocks, etc.).
Old 01-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
Dis-a Fer-rarr-ee scuderia. You-a show-a mahyee car-a to noh cus-tomerzz....Ci?
Just a hint:

http://www.imca-slotracing.com/Porsche917-1970.htm

http://www.imca-slotracing.com/AS70LM.htm

Old 01-26-2010, 10:53 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Pete,
I need a good alignment on 2 cars here in LA, do you know if Johnson's in Torrance is still the place to go? I was hoping to get the cars corner balanced too.
Thank you
Old 01-26-2010, 11:16 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Indeed, I take notes every track event on cold PSI, hot PSI, weather conditions and any pertinent handling notes.

Now, if I can make enough money to hire some crew so I can pull in to the hot pit, and have them measure temps across the tire, record my times, keep the car running well, fix broken stuff, etc, I'll be doing well!!
Once you do, then you can run with the big boys.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I've run with some pretty big boys on the track in spite of not having the crew. I think a couple of Grand-Am drivers, two Ferrari Challenge drivers, two guys running in the Rolex 24 this weekend, and of course, the awesome Patrick Long (also running in the 24) all qualify. Not that I ever threatened to best any of their lap times.....but all the same, it was pretty invigorating and a treat for me.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
Pete,
I need a good alignment on 2 cars here in LA, do you know if Johnson's in Torrance is still the place to go? I was hoping to get the cars corner balanced too.
Thank you
pm sent!!!
Old 01-30-2010, 02:41 AM
Marc Bixen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Darren at WestEnd Alignment on Vermont in Gardena, Ca. I don't have his phone # handy as I am in Daytona for the Rolex 24. Best of the Best. Bring the car with 1/2 a tank of gas and be honest with Darren and yourself when he asks your ability, how hard you drive, and how many track days you do a year. Remember a track set up is not a street set up. The best track alignment results in a nervous car in a straight line and a drastically shortened tire life.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:47 PM
RevMax
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree with Marc - Darren does great work at WestEnd Alignment. He's typically busy, so make an appointment in advance.

And like Marc said, a track alignment and a street alignment are different set ups too.

Good luck-

Quick Reply: Paging Mr. Zimmerman