Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Have a look, eye candy inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:17 PM
murphyjp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have a look, eye candy inside

Found an 85' targa with 63.8k miles dealer asking $16.5. Dealer says it's a 2 owner car well looked after and has the service book, but I don't know yet how detailed. He says his master tech indicates it was well maintained ( get back to this later) Dealer says the engine has not been altered, body looks original, and most likely the hood has been re-sprayed due to stone chips which seems reasonable. Car has been on the dealer floor for a month and he says no oil leaks. Does not smoke when started. He says the tensioner is superior.....how would you tell? He said they put some syncros in the transmission...don't know if this means all or some, don't know why you would not do them all while there.

Back to the master tech. Always a bit nervous when an add says something like "master tech" especially when they indicate some significant work being done on the vehicle like the syncros. I contacted the local PCA President to ask about the shop and if he knew the master tech. Turns out the tech has been a mechanic for well over 30 years working on everything from Porsches, Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Afa Romeo's, Lotus etc. The dealership was owned and operated by a local PCA member who worked and raced with the Porsche factory team in Germany before coming to the US. He ran the shop, with this mechanic, until the late 90's when it was sold. The new owner ran it till early 2008 when it was sold to the current owners. The new owners have become very involved in thelocal PCA club. The PCA president knows the owners and the sales manager, and says they are all stand up guys. The tech has been with the shop since the beginning.

Considering my significant distance from the car, I'm trying to be as thorough as possible. I've still got a few answers to get. The PCA president was very nice and offered to go take a look at the car and give it a drive for me.

Any thoughts, comments, additional questions, or observations welcome.

Last edited by murphyjp; 01-24-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:18 PM
murphyjp
Instructor

More photos

Last edited by murphyjp; 01-24-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:55 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone with a Porsche book can answer this. That shifter looks from that angle like possibly a G-50 shifter? Otherwise the pics fit with what you've been told, and the car probably is a very low miles (<100K) car. If you are in the market, I'd put down a refundable deposit, take the car to a PPI, and probably buy it.

Edit: Is that collision damage to the LF fender?
Old 01-15-2010, 03:47 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he said it was an '85. So still a 915 witch is not a problem.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:53 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, Rusnak,,,,,superman eyes !!!!!

Damage WHERE?

Sure looks nice in the pics.

Best of luck...PPI,...PPI...,PPI,..NOT from the servicing shop, but another (esp. if it's a long distance sale).

Best of luck,..carefully.....
Old 01-15-2010, 04:10 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I think that is a reflection of a parking lot stripe in the LF fender. Look at the receiver dryer. It still has the plastic cap over the sight glass.

WB, I know it should be a 915, but the boot....it odd. I guess it must be an aftermarket boot because the rest of the car is so original. Almost concours original.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:24 PM
mholbrook38
Track Day

This looks like a great car from the pictures. Good paint and excellent interior. Carerra has better FI system than the CS arguably. Certainly easy to work on. Price is not out of this world. I would not hesitate to make an offer. Good luck.

Mike
Old 01-15-2010, 04:35 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PPI, and low ball 'em. Good looking car really.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:02 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

If that's an '85, I don't think the headlight rings are original. My '85 has the older style. Headlights probably upgraded, which is nice.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

That's an aftermarket boot-I've got similar.

It looks unmolested and nice. And the lights have been upgraded to H4's it would seem. Carry on with this!
Old 01-15-2010, 06:25 PM
murphyjp
Instructor

I looked very close at the pic of the left front fender and headlight, and had the same thought about the reflection as Rusnak.

Whalebird, what would you consider low ball without being insulting? I've got a number in my head, but feel I may want to start lower. However, I do want a response back.

What is the feeling on the syncros, is it normal to only replace some? I've read Zimmermann's book and have to say I'm a little afraid of the 915 tranny. Is it more stout than people make it out to be?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

It would not surprise me that the owner or shop did the bare minimum to correct a trans issue and only replaced a couple of syncros.

Do not be afraid of the 915 trans. They are quite stout.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:14 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Each car is a unique case for sure, but I would not worry about the car if it shifts into first. It's usually first and second gear synchros that go, but this car has very low miles. I think I would probably negotiate a deposit that holds the car, pull the trigger on a ppi that specifically looks for damage or soon to replace items. That tally maybe would give you the basis for a counteroffer to the original price. If you want this color and like Targas, then it does not get much better than this car, at firt glance.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:31 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

What Ed and Russ wrote.......
Old 01-15-2010, 08:02 PM
murphyjp
Instructor

Thanks all. Sorry for all the newbism but you only get a chance to buy your first Porsche once. Best get it right.

I do like the car and love targa's. The more I look at the pictures the more I want it. Have to try and stay emotionally detached. Gonna have the local PCA Pres have a look and drive first. He has an 87' and should be able to give some good feedback.

What do you make of the dealers comment regarding the tensioner...."superb". Is this something that can be checked relatively easy?

Regarding PPI, is there a commonly accepted battery of checks, does each shop have their own, or do I need to indicate what I want checked? I understand the compression and leak down are separate. Speaking of which, do you suggest both? I think I read where Zimmermann finds the compression test less than useful. What can I generally expect to pay for the basic PPI and then the additionals?

Still trying to hammer out a low ball figure. I think I would rather have a price agreed upon going into the PPI and use results to negotiate lower instead of a deposit which would only allow me to negotiate from the original asking price. Of course I would include an out based on any negative PPI result.

Quick Reply: Have a look, eye candy inside