Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Today was a bad day...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:49 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rubber fuel lines need to be replaced after a few years. MFI has a semi-high pressure pump and return line in the rear - left fender. The lines are easy to get to. Good practice for ALL car owners.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 AM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very sorry to see/hear this incident.

x10 iceman. fire extingusher a good thing to have and I have one in my 911, but avoiding the fire is a better move.

this further justifies my current efforts on my 928. in process of replacing the fuel lines in the engine compart. when doing this I have contracted the "WYAI itis".

I hope my carrara fuel lines hold up until next winter, that is on my list.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:03 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I just got my fuel lines changed out. Had the car over 3 years and just had the first engine drop recently. Made damned sure we got those fuel lines out of there,...AND, SURE ENOUGH, I FOUND ORIGINAL LINES....they "looked fine" (mmmmm), yet that amounts to "nothing".

This was after changing out ALL of the flex lines/slave cylinder lines., finding AGAIN, original lines...

Man, you're so lucky (actually).....all is relative.

Very glad to know you got out of it OK......could of been VERY different.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

One note here.....

At the end of my build, I was going to keep my old lines as they showed no evidence of problem. One may even say they looked great. The first time I powered the fuel pump up-there were a bunch of fuel streams. Needless to say, it delayed the starting of my new engine. That is how I know they can be changed without dropping the motor!

A hint here: Some have had custom braided lines made with AN fittings for a lot less that the expensive replacement parts. Zims offered a set of re-manufactured lines for about 1/2 of the cost of new, with the return of your old cores. A way to shave a few $ and still keep a stock look.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:52 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed,
but you did have to remove the intake, correct?

I had my top end rebuilt about 10 yrs ago. at the time did not think about having the fuel lines replaced. of course by now would need to consider changing again....
Old 01-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Yes, the intake had to come up. I may've undone the motor mounts and lowered the engine a few inches as well, now that I think about it.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:26 PM
OttawaDave
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the details on the fuel lines guys - I'll have a look at Ian's page, Ice, it's a good resource for sure.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:20 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad I re-read this thread. Time to call Zims Autotek.

Here's another source for braided fuel lines: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post5132929

Pete Zimmermann recommends you use the factory fuel lines, just be advised.

I'd say if you do go w ss fuel lines, it might be a good idea to slip rubber hose over it to prevent chafing of ignition or fiberglass where affected.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:37 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Very very sorry to see that. I guess it could have been hugely worse, the hospital burn unit is literally like being in Hell. Still, that must have been one sweet car. Sorry.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:40 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I just heard back from Kirk at Zims. They use your old lines, and crimp new rubber on them. I think this is the nicest alternative to factory lines, but as Ed pointed out, it's about half the cost. $350-400 for all three I think.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

When I did mine, they had re-mfgrd bits in stock, took mine for the core as is typical. Maybe they got burned or something and are only rebuilding customer parts now? The ones I got looked brand new.

BTW-Kirk is one of the nicest, most helpful people you'll ever meet, and he knows a few things about Porsche parts too!
Old 01-18-2010, 08:09 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I don't know. He mentioned a core charge. But with a 1-2 day turnaround, I'd just call ahead and let them know I'm sending my old ones in. I figure in about a week and a half total w shipping, I'm good to go. He did say not to cut the old lines because they use them to orient the fittings and measure for length. It sounds good to me.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

That is quick enough surely.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:24 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to see/hear this Glenn. Any rubber fuel line in an older car is suspect. As Clive mentioned above, I redid mine several years ago. I still haven't done a drop for the little hidden bastard but a mirror inspection says it look OK. Here is a writeup on my change:

Carrera Fuel Lines

The last time I posted it, a conservative regular or two around here had an issue with non-stock replacement, so if you are one of them, don't click the link or your head might explode.

Ian
Old 01-19-2010, 09:38 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak

Pete Zimmermann recommends you use the factory fuel lines, just be advised.

I'd say if you do go w ss fuel lines, it might be a good idea to slip rubber hose over it to prevent chafing of ignition or fiberglass where affected.

As someone who always finds Pete's advice top-notch, I'm curious to know if his recommendation is due to the chafing issue that you mention only, or if concern was expressed about other elements of the braided S/S solution?

Sad to see what happened to your car Glenn. I live in the area so I can well imagine how perfect the day seemed for a mid-winter ride. As others have said though, the vastly more important thing is that you were not injured at all. I hope you get a fair insurance settlement and can maybe get back in the saddle. It is a great buyer's market after all. Especially in the U.S., and the strong CDN/US exchange rate makes it that much better (for us).

Quick Reply: Today was a bad day...