Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ctek trickle charger on an '89 Carrera...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Betsy W
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ctek trickle charger on an '89 Carrera...

When I plug my Ctek 7000 cigarette lighter adapter into the cigarette lighter of my '89 Carrera, the red error light comes on. According to Ctek, this can be due to a few things:
Explanation 1: Reverse polarity.
Test: Make sure that the + cable/clamp is connected to the + terminal and the – cable/clamp is connected to the – terminal.
Explanation 2: The clamps are short circuited.
Explanation 3: For chargers of the older type the error mode is flashing when only the plug is connected.
I've used the charger in the same configuration on a 993 with no problems, and there aren't any cable clamps to switch up because it's a cigarette lighter adapter. What could be going on? Could the cigarette lighter in the car somehow be wired up wrong? How can I test this?

Thank you!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:12 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The center plunger should be positive. I guess you could use a sacrificial ciggy lighter adaptor from some old power cord, just cut the wires and test them with a multimeter. The question I think is which way is the Ctek wired? Center postive, or negative? You could use the same test rig on the 993 to be sure.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:43 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rusnak
The center plunger should be positive. I guess you could use a sacrificial ciggy lighter adaptor from some old power cord, just cut the wires and test them with a multimeter. The question I think is which way is the Ctek wired? Center postive, or negative? You could use the same test rig on the 993 to be sure.
Probably be able to easily (and carefully) get VOM leads in there and measure center to ground....this would confirm the lighter side.

Recheck the manual on the Ctek to verify it's wirng (just as Rusnak proposed)...something's reversed?

Best,

Doyle
Old 01-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Slimwear
Advanced

I'm sure you have probably thought of this but just in case, the fuse that the cig lighter uses could be blown.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:57 AM
bdisco
Intermediate

I got the Porsche cigarette lighter charger for my '88 and it only works with the ignition key turned on. Got a cheep auto store brand direct connect to battery charger that I use now. The Porsche charger is for sale if anyone wants it PM me.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Betsy W
Intermediate

Great suggestions.
@bdisco: Same thing for me -- the error light goes away when the car's on.
@slimwear: I'm not technically advanced enough (yet) to know where to look for the fuse, but the lighter itself works -- I can pop in the button and a few moments later the heating element is red-hot. Does that rule out a fuse problem?
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and install the "quick-change" leads onto the battery terminals and just run the cord in under the hood. Sigh. Would be so much cleaner to use the cig lighter.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:05 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

It does rule a lighter fuse issue.

Lighter work with ignition switch OFF?

Best,

Doyle
Old 01-15-2010, 04:13 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait a second. The ciggy lighter socket is a "switched" circuit on the 911. I don't know about the 993. How is the light coming on?

Second, I would probably prefer going straight to the battery if it were my 911.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:07 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

yes,...wait.

Quick Reply: Ctek trickle charger on an '89 Carrera...