Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Can a transmission/engine leak and then stop leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:39 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The engine parts probably move around a lot more than we would probably like to think. O-rings and such might leak for awhile then stop. I drive my 911 a lot, and even with regular use, it leaks some days and not on others.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon Targa 86
Well, I'm taking it to the track in Feb. We'll see how she does after a couple of laps revving in the 6000's

Marlon
Just keep it in the 6000's. Anything in the upper 7's or higher causes more issues than a leak. What track?
Old 01-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to the California Auto Club Speedway on Feb 6th.

LINK
Old 01-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

That looks to be an Autocross in the parking lot. I'm sure it will be fun and you'll have a grin. I've done a bunch of track days, but never an AutoX. I mean to try one at Qualcomm-SDR has one a month it seems.

Keep your eyes open for (probably) a couple of PCA events later this year inside the track on the infield section. A safe track, very smooth and will really allow you to stretch the car's legs. Both SDR and OCR ran events last year. A lot closer than Willow Springs.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:46 AM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Yeah, I've done a couple of track days at Willow Springs and Button Willow. Those were a lot of fun and REALLY fast... especially at the Willow Springs Raceway. But I really want to try a more technical, slower type of event like an autoX, where I can push the car a lot further without being afraid of hitting somebody and/or spinning out of a turn at 95mph

Marlon
Old 01-20-2010, 11:26 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, RMS leak in M96 engine can drive the owner crazy until he figures out what's going on. Some days after a drive there's a leak/drop of oil under the car the morning after a drive. Other days no drop at all. Thing is the "final" drop for that dripless day was probably released just down the driveway before parking. The seal is a little reservoir of oil that's sometimes empty when you park.

I speak from direct experience. Clean kraft paper under the engine, monitored daily, results in a pattern emerging, with a horrifyingly inevitable conclusion, even for someone who's in total denial about the dreaded RMS leak.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:57 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I did say "Or not." This is like a scientific law: supported by the preponderance of the data. It becomes more and more of a sure thing as time passes and no counter example is turned up. Once the leak re-appears, it's a leak for sure.

Oh yeah, don't you just hate those "cheap" Kumho Ecsta SPTs? I chuckle every time I recall the salesman in the upscale tire store giving me hell for putting "cheap tires on such an expensive car." I should have paid triple for the PZeros and replaced them -- again -- by now. They run on the track ... on the wet track ... and on the street. How dare they!?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:04 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Hey, y'all. I see track offerings being made. Come out and join us in Utah for the IRPCA DEs and Club Races this year. The longest road course in North America is a blast!

http://int.pca.org/

We have the full track in September: 4.5 miles and 24 turns, with a 3,550 foot front straight. Long run-out areas make even this very high-speed track as safe as possible (It was designed with motorcycles in mind).
Old 01-25-2010, 06:14 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine leaks (half-dollar size) when it hasn't been driven for a few weeks in very cold temps. when I drive it regularly &/or it is warmer - no signs. I suspect an oil return tube seal - no big deal.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Joe6pack
Instructor

Mine leaves a half dollar size leak after I drive it, but that's it. When sitting cold it doesn't leak at all.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:44 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

mine leaks when it is pissed off .. oh wait ... that's my dog .. ah nope don't have a dog .. definitely the car ..
Old 01-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Well, the leak hasn't reproduced itself for 3 weeks now. Today I drove the car for an hour off and on the freeway, got home and parked it. I checked after it was parked for about 2 hours and no leak.

My guess is the mechanic overfilled when I got the engine/transmission oil change or the 4 hour drive from Vegas somehow pushed out some oil somewhere. Weird.

Marlon

Quick Reply: Can a transmission/engine leak and then stop leaking?