Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My Official Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Newfie911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Official Introduction

Hi All, Figured it good form to do a formal introduction to the forum. I have spent most of the last two years strictly hunting the PP Board. I'm sure there are many here common to both as well.

Currently on my second 911. First was 1986 Gaurds Red Cab, only owned for about 6 months when a guy made an offer i couldn't refuse. As we all know we get great pleasure from hunting down the great car. Well I did pretty good with the second ( current ) one. Bought from original owner last may in Ontario. The lady had received it as a gift from her husband when she graduated Med School, then last year when she retired she decided to sell. Full Porsche Dealer serviced all its life by the original selling dealership, fully stamped book and all docs included. Complete car with tool kit, original compressor, Books, Keys, and original leather key pouch. 93K/Km or roughly 58K/Miles. PPI was impeccable, no leaks, smoke, etc, compression even and strong across all cylinders. Paint had minor issues typical of the age. The only real flaw was the leather dash, as in most had shrunk and warped , so that is the current project.

Look forward to the idle discussion and helpful advice,

Cheers,

Kevin
Old 01-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey Kevin,

Welcome to Rennlist!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:27 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Looks real nice Kev. What color is that? Get a bunch of Leatherique on the dash. It helps.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:36 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Kevin,

It looks like you found a gem!! I am partial to silver blue metallic (Shifferblau Metalik or something like that).
Old 01-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Newfie911
Advanced

It's Slate Blue Metallic......L661,rusnak is spot on I think, schifferblau, very close to Venetion Blue from what I have seen.

The dash is gone too far for leatherique, going out for restoration, likely 928leather in Michigan, it's currently sitting on my dining room table. But I was going to try the leatherique on the rear window shelf that is dried and warped also, but I think if I soak in leatherique I can slowly flatten the panel with gradual pressure. The leather is still tightly secured to all edges.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Rod.
Instructor

That's a wonderful looking car Kevin, and from your description, a great find! I've always liked blue-grey 911's.

All the best,

Originally Posted by Newfie911
Hi All, Figured it good form to do a formal introduction to the forum. I have spent most of the last two years strictly hunting the PP Board. I'm sure there are many here common to both as well.

Currently on my second 911. First was 1986 Gaurds Red Cab, only owned for about 6 months when a guy made an offer i couldn't refuse. As we all know we get great pleasure from hunting down the great car. Well I did pretty good with the second ( current ) one. Bought from original owner last may in Ontario. The lady had received it as a gift from her husband when she graduated Med School, then last year when she retired she decided to sell. Full Porsche Dealer serviced all its life by the original selling dealership, fully stamped book and all docs included. Complete car with tool kit, original compressor, Books, Keys, and original leather key pouch. 93K/Km or roughly 58K/Miles. PPI was impeccable, no leaks, smoke, etc, compression even and strong across all cylinders. Paint had minor issues typical of the age. The only real flaw was the leather dash, as in most had shrunk and warped , so that is the current project.

Look forward to the idle discussion and helpful advice,

Cheers,

Kevin

Last edited by Rod.; 01-06-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:22 AM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful car, Porsche sure made some terrific blues in the '80s. Slate and Venetian blue are two of my favorites.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Hooverwi
Instructor

Great to see another Blue 911! Welcome to Rennlist!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Welcome! Sounds like a great score!
Old 01-06-2010, 03:33 PM
scotyp
Advanced

Hi Kevin, Welcome! I am a bit of a newbie myself having bought my first Porsche just a few weeks ago, a 1982 SC that is light blue metallic(paint code 30) and had 60k miles on the clock. Needless to say I love the slate blue and it's great to see another join the fold in that color tone!

Scot
Old 01-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to Rennlist. Fantastic find of a 911. Enjoy it.

Originally Posted by logan2z
Porsche sure made some terrific blues in the '80s. Slate and Venetian blue are two of my favorites.
Before I read that I was just thinking, "Why did Porsche offer so many different dull blues in this time period." LOL. The world would be pretty boring if we all thought the same.

Brett
Old 01-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Newfie911
Advanced

your absolutely right Brett, I was saying the same thing when I bought it........wasn't crazy about the colour , but had an impeccable history, but the color really grew on me.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:21 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett San Diego
Before I read that I was just thinking, "Why did Porsche offer so many different dull blues in this time period." LOL. The world would be pretty boring if we all thought the same.
The thing I like about the blues from this era is that they seem to have been produced in smaller numbers than other colors - of course that could be because nobody liked them

When I was looking for my 911 I'd say that at least 75% of the cars I saw for sale were Guards Red. Slate, Venetian and Marine Blue seem to be much rarer, and I think that makes the cars in these colors a bit more unique and interesting to look at. That said, I think it's pretty hard to make the 911 look bad, and I've seen some odd colors that somehow worked on this car. At the recent Bay Area New Year's Drive there was a 911 in a very dark green color and one in chocolate brown (not sure of the official names for these colors) that looked surprisingly nice.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Newfie911
your absolutely right Brett, I was saying the same thing when I bought it........wasn't crazy about the colour , but had an impeccable history, but the color really grew on me.
Yep, pretty soon it will be your favorite. You probably did the right thing. I would have passed still, because I'm a bit silly. I would've bought a 911 in the "right" color with no engine before yours. I still want that arrow/royal blue 911SC, but I'm quite happy with what I did find when I went shopping.

Brett
Old 01-06-2010, 05:59 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Warm welcome to Rennlist. Enjoy that beautiful baby....

Quick Reply: My Official Introduction