Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Run from this 83 SC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 05:06 PM
floete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run from this 83 SC?

Am looking for my first Porsche and saw this at the local car shop, 83 911SC with 98,000 miles, asking price is $11.9 but I saw the listing sheet and it had the words "owner very anxious" written on it.

The shop has been taking care of the car, more or less, for the past ten years, and I don't think much has been done to it. The tensioners haven't been done, no top end job has been done. Some kind of clutch job was done a few years ago but I'm not sure it was the upgrade. The guy said something like, "And, we've done no internal engine work on it since we've been seeing it."

Took it for a spin but since it was my first time driving a Porsche -- whoo! whoo! -- I have no basis for comparison. All I know is, the gears didn't grind but the steering wheel did wobble.

Repainted once, about ten years ago, "but not due to an accident."

Should I go any further with this, even given that the owner is anxious? The more I write, the more I think I know the answer. But, anyway, here are some pix:

And thanks!

Last edited by floete; 04-05-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:00 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a good PPI. Not a terrible looking car, but drive lots of them. You may want to revisit this car after establishing a comparison. Motivated seller is always good, but tread lightly. See if 8k gets a responce, but only after driving some others. Get a PPI. Also pick up a copy of "the used 911 story" by Peter Zimmerman(you may want to visit the sticky thread posted at the top of this 911 forum by the same "Peter"). How many miles? Where are you/car located so maybe some fellow Rennlisters can help with evaluation of the car/shop/owner? Oh, and warm welcome to rennlist. Keep us posted and maybe some more pics
Best of luck
Old 01-05-2010, 06:02 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, I see 98K. Ask for records/documents from the shop. If they are reputable they should have some detailed records on the car.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

As whale says, there is nothing to be lost in progressing. At least they aren't starting at something crazy like $18K or something....

Wobble could be flat spotted tires, or suspension woes, but shouldn't be too serious. A good front end refresh and fresh rubber would most likely cure anything but wreck-induced damage.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Limited pics posted look pretty good cosmetically. Dash pretty straight (don't see cracks). Steering wheel not tattered. What little of the seats can be seen looks pretty good. Paint has shine on it. Wheels look clean (recently refinished?). Ride height OK. As already mentioned, check the service history. If serviced regularly, I'd pursue it with a PPI (if the price starting point is satisfactory to you), then lowball them and feel 'em out. How badly does he want to sell a snow covered sports car in the dead of winter? No internal engine work is probably a good thing.

Brett
Old 01-05-2010, 06:39 PM
bourgeois911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes

Wobble could be flat spotted tires, or suspension woes, but shouldn't be too serious.
Or, a disintegrated bushing in the steering column. Cheap and easy.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:52 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steering wheel wobble is indeed easy to fix. Front end wobble is not as easy, but fixable and definitely not unusual for this vintage car.

I think the price looks good, and the car looks good. I don't think I'd focus as much on price as on the body condition given it's a snow region car. I'd pull the battery, get under the body with a pressure washer, and strong flashlight, and spend a few hours looking for rust after cleaning away as much dirt as you can. Look for crushed oil lines on the right side of the floorpan and inside the rocker panels. These are expensive to replace. Ask the shop which wear items will need replacing soon and the cost. I think this car is sound.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:17 PM
floete
Instructor

Thanks, guys, great helpful stuff. A couple of items:

1/ If I posted more pix, what would the most helpful pix be of?

2/ it doesn't bother you guys that it doesn't have the tensioner upgrade, nor had a valve job, nor any of the other stuff that it seems most SC have had done? In theory, with a car this old, shouldn't I be happier with a rebuilt engine? My internet reading seems to suggest that; but maybe I'm reading it wrong.

3/ As to the steering wheel, the shop guy said, It needs some kind of bushing.

4/ btw/ the shop isn't a Porsche shop and I'm pretty sure the guy was not a Porsche enthusiast. He said lots of people have stopped to look at the car but no one is happy that the engine hasn't been rebuilt. As to records, I'll ask if he has any but from the looks of things, I kind of doubt it.

5/ He said the dash isn't original, that it's some kind of cover over the old dash.

6/ The fan didn't work. The a/c blower did, though I don't know if the a/c actually worked. Someone miswired the right window switch; press up, the window goes down, press down, the window goes up.

Well, that's it. But here's a big question. I know when I get down to it I'll be getting PPI's. But I can't do it, I don't think, for every car I see. How do you all make the go no=go decision?

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:37 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

The wobble could also be just flat spots from sitting. You can't tell caca from interweb pictures. But at that price it warrants a closer look.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:06 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

The AC will probably need to be flushed and recharged at a minimum if you're going to use it. It's the original York compressor (crappy but original) with R-12 fittings. The thing did not lock up because the belt is still on it. Might be just low charge or some electrical. Not hard to fix, but you might need a new receiver dryer, and maybe a new expansion valve. I'd plan on a complete flush of the system.

What kind of oil filter is that? I hope it's a Wix or some German made one.

As I said, I'd focus on the underside of the fenders, and any hint of bubbling or cracking paint that might suggest rust. Pull away the carpet in the front trunk. If the car is mechanically sound, I'd still factor in a few K in parts for replacement. If you can, listen to the car start up from stone cold. Listen for smooth idle and backfiring. If you have an inductive timing light, make sure the distributor is advancing.

As an aside, does he have the original black key that opens the glove box and front trunk? That looks like the valet key.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:10 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

I know how to fix the window switch!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:12 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I think the pass side has a red w blk stripe and a solid red. Probably switched around the middle wires (there are 5 total). That's a 5 minute fix.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:14 PM
scotyp
Advanced

floete, I think the go-no go as far as a PPI is concerned is just with experience looking at many cars and a little reading.
I suggest getting the 911 buyers guide by Leffingwell. This booked helped me tremedously along with Peters' in knowing if a car made that cut. I bought my 82' SC a few weeks back and am very happy with it. I took an 87' and an 83' in for PPI's before I bought my 82 and glad I did! It was $500 well spent!

Eventually you will get the knack of it and can eliminate cars pretty easily..good luck!

Scot

Last edited by scotyp; 01-05-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:21 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

but the woble could be the bushing too . all of an 8.00 part. I wouldn't run away at all .. if your concerned about the "no engine work" invest in a leakdown before signing the deal . if it comes back good your off to a solid start ..
Old 01-05-2010, 08:41 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
I think the pass side has a red w blk stripe and a solid red. Probably switched around the middle wires (there are 5 total). That's a 5 minute fix.
Turn it upside down

Quick Reply: Run from this 83 SC?