Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Boy, did I walk into these.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also get miffed when someone subscribes to a thread by posting "subscribed". It cones down to etiquette.[/QUOTE]

Aw common guys. i'm old, & decrepit. WTF does subscribed & un subcribed mean?
Old 01-14-2010, 07:11 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Send me an AM, and I'll tell you.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,101 Likes on 786 Posts

On pelican if you enter anything on a thread you are " subscribed" so you will get a message sent to your email if someone responds. It is actually a compliment.. someone has read the thread and is interested in what others have to say about it . It is popular at Pelican as the original thread can dissapear quickly and you can't find it .. when you get the email notification you can see what others have said as well as get a link back to the original thread.
Sure glad Renny doesn't do that .. or at least that i don't have it enabled if it does.

Last edited by theiceman; 01-15-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:17 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,101 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Settle on a price first, subject to PPI-unless its a ridiculous "can't miss" deal. You don't want to fork out $$ for PPI only to find the seller's asking price is THE price. If the PPI turns up stuff, then you go to the table or walk.
+1000

Once you have negotiated a price and the PPI turns up things that WERE NOT DISCUSSED. You now have a negotiation point to lower the price. if you don't have a price before the PPI , the guy can say the price is that because of those items and you have no real bargening power.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:21 PM
floete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good stuff. thanks!

(and oh by the way ... without that pm notice in the thread, i would never have seen the pm. so, thanks for that!)

((and if anybody else local to RI/NE has a 911 they're looking to sell, feel free to PM me. And to let me know about it here, haha hoho haha!))
Old 01-14-2010, 09:52 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by floete
(and oh by the way ... without that pm notice in the thread, i would never have seen the pm. so, thanks for that!)
There are a couple of user preferences supported by this forum software that can help with that. Click on this link

Edit Options

and you'll see the options displayed in the attached image under the 'Private Messaging' group. You can then choose to be notified of PMs by e-mail and/or by a pop-up when you are accessing forum pages.
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2010, 09:47 PM
floete
Instructor

While thinking of that other one, I went and saw the black one again tonight with a friend who knows a lot more about these cars than I. He drove it and he quite liked it. We checked all the likely rust spots, including the drain tubes for the sunroof, and saw no rust. Opened and closed the smuggler's room lid; no binding or anything. The one thing is, it's had no upgrades, no Carrera tenioners, no pop-off valve; probably still has the rubber-centered clutch; and like that.

Oh, and the rockers on both sides right in front of wheels are a little mashed, like someone tried to jack the car up, mashed one, then did it again on the other side. Odd.

Too many damn things to think about!

Last edited by floete; 01-16-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:10 PM
floete
Instructor

Update:

Just for the hell of it, I emailed in an offer on Sat. for $6750 subject to a good PPI. I expected to get either no response or a nasty response, and I would have understood either, given that the asking price is $11.9k. Instead, I got a counter offer of $9k ... with no adjective like 'firm' appended to it.

Hmmmm. Now what? Suggestions? Thoughts? What do you think it means that he dropped the price by nearly $3k just like that? Frankly, it makes me kind of nervous! What say ya'll?
Old 01-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I'd not spend any time worrying about a dropped price or how much he lowered it. My guess is that is the number he has as his bottom, but who knows. It probably is more an indicator of his need to move it and maybe not a lot of interest prior to you. For a complete, running decently, no big issues or surprises, cosmetically OK (meaning you can live with the aesthetics and maybe improve it as you go) 911, even if it isn't a Carrera ( sorry, couldn't resist), $9K isn't a bad price.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can really tell a lot with a good PPI. Since the price has come down quite a bit you might be able to justify the extra expense of a leakdown test to help reduce your risk. If nothing else it could help palliate your anxiety. But, you've got the mechanics that worked on this car for 10 years, right there. Talk 'em up some more (well, as long as they don't have an interest in the sale). I have to agree with Ed. It looks like a very decent buy. Hard to sell a snow covered old Porsche in January. I bought the first 911 that I looked at (1978 SC) when i went shopping. No PPI, little smoke rising from the engine compartment. huge pull to the right on braking, dog hair coating the back deck, Nevada plates two years out of date, hmmm. I bit my lip and wrote the check. It's now a Parade concours class champion. Since then, I've heard stories of people having looked at it and passed on it. They blew it as far as I'm concerned.

Brett
Old 01-18-2010, 06:04 PM
floete
Instructor

The shop guy is mighty close-mouthed about the whole thing and doesn't exactly seem to keep stellar records. So far, he hasn't said a nice thing about the car; then again, he hasn't said anything negative about it, either. Either he's keeping mum or this is typical Swamp Yankee behavior.

The car does need the tensioner upgrade, which I gather is about a grand right there. And I doubt it's got the spring centered clutch. And it needs the pop-off valve. I'm guessing those three things together, we're talking $2k. I dunno, that 9k is now seeming kind of expensive!

Maybe I'll come up to 7K, see if that rattles his chains any.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Well, if you're going to pay someone to work on the car, this one is probably not the one to get. The last thing I'll say is that the car has lasted a long time without any of the upgrades you mention. Yes, they are improvements, but their absence is not necessarily marks against a particular car.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:37 PM
floete
Instructor

I know that's the last thing you're going to say in this particular thread; but please don't force me to start a new one, when all I want to ask is this:

So, if a car has lasted this long, those three items I mentioned aren't mandatory? For some reason, I thought they were like a ticking timebombs and that only by the grace of God has the car not engulfed itself in flames prior to this. Not so?
Old 01-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

The tensioner could be an issue, but the collars are a "quick/inexpensive" fix. The clutch....I'd assume it was changed somewhere along the line. The pop-off, there are plenty of tales of boxes that went even with the valve installed-the best defense on this is a properly tuned CIS.

Again, these are all desireable upgrades, but if a car is priced right without them, I'd not lose a lot of sleep. The real valid comment I made was that if you aren't planning to DIY most repairs, this car is probably not the one you should be looking at. Finding one that is pretty close to perfect with no issues hanging will put you money ahead if you're paying for labor.

Quick Reply: Run from this 83 SC?