Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What questions to ask on a Craigslist ad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:24 AM
floete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What questions to ask on a Craigslist ad?

I'm in the midst of searching for my first 911 or 912 and it occurs to me that, with Craigslist or eBay, I might benefit from knowing what initial questions to ask when pondering ads or auctions that are generally pretty fuzzy in their specifics. Here's an example of just such an ad:

Here's the description:
"1968 Porsche 912 Three Gauge Car, Very good condition, stored many years clean dry barn. Starts stops runs good, need a good cleaning. Call with questions or to schedule a viewing."

Not much, is it? So, if you were me, and it'd take you a good long drive to go see a car like this, and you wanted to get a pretty good indication beforehand of whether it'd be worth it to take that drive, what specific questions would you ask?

Is there a short checklist somewhere that someone has developed to make the initial steps easier?

Thanks!

Last edited by floete; 01-05-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: url deleted. thanks theiceman!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:52 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

well actually there is a very simple step .. have him email you photos of the whole car in and out and post them here ... that will give you a very good idea of where to head ... another tip might be don't post the link or someone could steal it out from under you ...
Get pics of the engine bay underneath .. and the guys here will give feedback onw hat they see on the surface .
The obvious questions are :
1. Do you have service history ?
2. Has any major engine / transmision/ clutch wotk been done . when and documentation of this
3. Any rust ?

usually "needs a good cleaning" is a flag to me ... not unlike " needs a rune up " . if i were selling a car I would clean it first to get top dollar unless I was hiding something ..
Old 01-05-2010, 08:54 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I think having good records will separate the wheat from the chaff.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/1536905766.html
Its worth a look
Old 01-06-2010, 06:26 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes: records!

There?

Quick Reply: What questions to ask on a Craigslist ad?